Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday / Apartment Websites

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For years and years we've always used Tommy Cooks or some high street travel agent to book our holidays, but this year we just want to go it alone and book an apartment in Spain and find our own flights. However, I am always very nervous doing this and like the "safety net" of having a travel agent sort things out for me.

Anyone give me some good tips for doing it myself? Is Trivago any good? Any other reputable websites I can search an for an apartment on? How can I tell if a website is just full of bullcrap and it will be awful when we get there?

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
As a family we have used "Owners direct" website for villas in Spain several times , each without complications.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For years and years we've always used Tommy Cooks or some high street travel agent to book our holidays, but this year we just want to go it aloe and book an apartment in Spain and find our own flights. However, I am always very nervous doing this and like the "safety net" of having a travel agent sort things out for me.

Anyone give me some good tips for doing it myself? Is Trivago any good? Any other reputable websites I can search an for an apartment on? How can I tell if a website is just full of bullcrap and it will be awful when we get there?

My accommodation website of choice is always Travel Republic. Must have used them a dozen times now and never had a single problem. Very decent rates too, maybe sometimes a quid a night more expensive than the cheapest shown on Trivago, but IMHO worth it for the seamlessness of the transaction. Always check out the accommodation in advance on Tripadvisor, tho I'd assume you do that anyways, no matter how you book.

Oh, and on NO account book your flight through a travel website, the prices can vary hugely between what they quote and what you pay, due to the time lapse. Always book direct with Easyjet etc. for the best deals. As for transfers to/from airport/accommodation, if your airport serves a major city where your accommodation is, there will invariably be some kind of fast and cheap dedicated airlink bus, either that or it'll be accessible by a rail station from the airport. Again will be reasonably priced. If neither of these is available, would recommend emailing one or more travel agencies based in the place where you are staying and getting quotes on a cab. You'll usually get a good deal, and the cabbie will be holding up a board with your name on when you clear Arrivals formalities. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Holiday Rentals has a huge selection worldwide.
We've done our own thing for years now, Can't remember the last time we booked with a travel agent.

Sorted out a 3 week touring holiday ourselves in the US, and there was only one hotel I had to ring to book in the middle of South Dakota. The rest was all done on-line.

It can be a bit daunting the first time but as long as you use reputable sites, you should be ok. And always check the reviews, too.

So go for it, I say. You'll save loads.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've used https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ a few times. Not had any problems.

I always book flights and car hire direct too.

I have always done the same but have used owners direct which tend to be slightly dearer. For hotels I have often used either Alpha rooms or travel republic. For transfers I use Sun Travel who operate from every airport in the world using local taxis etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have read bad reports of the properties on their site but I suppose you pay your money and take your chance.

Same with anything at any time. I've not heard a single bad report from those I know who have used it and none from me either. Although like anything else I am sure there's a few that have had bad experiences. No point mulling over it. Ever booked a poor hotel through a reputable company? Most have some experience.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Same with anything at any time. I've not heard a single bad report from those I know who have used it and none from me either. Although like anything else I am sure there's a few that have had bad experiences. No point mulling over it. Ever booked a poor hotel through a reputable company? Most have some experience.

What I am saying you pay your money and take your chance it is all relevant to what you are paying and what you expect for your money.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never had a problem in years of using booking.com. And that includes a lot of switching plans around, cancelling and rebooking etc. Trivago comes into its own more if you have a particular property in mind as you can check you're getting the best price (though it does produce some bargains sometimes when you're looking at a specific town or area).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup: Like the look of owners direct.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used this site loads of times in many places (Spain, Canaries, Florida, California etc) and never had the slightest issue/problem. You are in direct contact with owners, ask questions etc (I usually email any that I fancy booking as the way respond gives some comfort usually). There are reviews of the properties on the site as well. Can't remember the last holiday I booked through an agent, and love the flexibility of having a whole house/apartment when away rather than being tied to a hotel room.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Before I get into my reply, I will state I have a vested interest - bet you can't guess my business!

Firstly, I really do understand and accept that people like the flexibility of using websites as per those mentioned above, in fact some of the fun is finding your own "bargain".

However, lots of people don't fully understand what protection they have, if any, or some of the tricks online sites use to give you the best price.

Financial Protection - yes if you pay by credit card you have financial protection, but this means that you have to make a claim to the credit card company - what happens if your airline fails while abroad? Buying a fully ATOL protected holiday means that your agent has to get you home without any further financial outlay by the customer. We too as agents, have to recover the money from ATOL but we buy Supplier Failure Insurance which pays out immediately, hence giving us the money to get you home. Funnily enough people are happy to pay a circa 2% fee to purchase there travel by credit card, when actually the extra cost for an ATOL protected holiday is significantly cheaper!!

Companies like Owners Direct and AirBNB are merely introducers - if the owner of the property decides to sell up or not fulfil any more bookings, you are left up a certain creek, without a certain paddle!

An interesting recent piece from the Daily Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/holidaymakers-face-hike-in-booking-rental-homes/

As for Online Sites hiding pricing elements, most will not include or tell you about City/Resort Fees that are prevalent across cities in Europe (even Majorca has just introduced same) but are rife and can be expensive in the USA, particularly Vegas. I was talking to a couple who told me they had found a cracking deal online for a 14nt stay in Vegas, they hadn't got a clue about Resort Fees and their faces dropped when I told them they average out at $30 per night, which meant they needed to find another £350!!

I hear loads of horror stories - my favourite recent one involved a well known accommodation website. He reserved 4 rooms and secured it with a Credit Card 9 months before travel (pay on arrival) When he got to resort, their rooms had been sold and the hotel was full as his Credit Card had expired and nobody from the well known website advised him!

What I will say is us agents do struggle to compete with the low cost airlines short haul (long haul we get great fares from scheduled airlines - will BA let you pay a £50 deposit on their website?) but we are only another £5/£10 per ticket extra short haul (including financial protection, if applicable) so what I say to people is what value do they put on financial protection and somebody that is always there on the end of the phone/email/text to help them when they have a problem, rather than being on hold to a call centre for half a day to sort a small problem.

Whichever way you choose to book, understand the relevant value of doing it DIY or using an agent.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here