Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chilcot report

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The intro

The UK chose to go to Iraq before peaceful options for disarmament were exhausted.

Invading Iraq at that time was not the last resort.

The judgments about the severity of the WMD threat was presented with a certainty that was not justified.

Despite explicit warnings the consequences of the invasion were underestimated and the planning and preparation for Iraq post Saddam were wholly inadequate.

The government failed to achieve its stated objectives.

Blair discussed regime change with Bush.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
7 years and lord knows how many million pounds to tell us what we already knew, we had absolutely no idea what we were doing. All those lives lost and still being lost.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Even if the invasion of Iraq was justified we had already committed all our resources to Afghanistan. Just from that position no one with an average IQ would have got involved on two fronts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This really isn't any different to what many people thought at the time. Vindication for those that stood against the government on this one. Charles Kennedy, ridiculed at the time as too liberal/soft now vindicated for his stand against going to war, as is Jeremy Corbyn.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So Blair did an awful lot of lying then.

At every possible opportunity.

cf: David Cameron: 70,000 'moderate' fighters in Syria.

He's a nob as well. Originally he wanted to bomb Assad, but in the end all he could do was endorse the so called moderate rebel fighters who were being supplied with western weapons via Saudi and Turkey. He was very happy to see British Muslims go to Syria to fight Assad, but unfortunately they were joining ISIS.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This really isn't any different to what many people thought at the time. Vindication for those that stood against the government on this one. Charles Kennedy, ridiculed at the time as too liberal/soft now vindicated for his stand against going to war, as is Jeremy Corbyn.

Yep, Hans Blix, Robin Cook, Dr David Kelly, Clare Short, they all said exactly the same.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Blair lied, deliberately mislead parliament and has left Iraq in a bloody violent mess and provided the fertile ground for ISIS/Daesh or what ever you want to call them to thrive to wreak mayhem in the aftermath. All this after a decade of sanctions also caused deaths and misery in Iraq. A country that has never attacked us, or posed a threat to us, destroyed to appease the vanity of two men.

He has to answer for this in a court of law.

I really thought Chilcot would be a whitewash, looks like he went to Farrow and Ball for the paint instead.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Blair lied, deliberately mislead parliament and has left Iraq in a bloody violent mess and provided the fertile ground for ISIS/Daesh or what ever you want to call them to thrive to wreak mayhem in the aftermath. All this after a decade of sanctions also caused deaths and misery in Iraq. A country that has never attacked us, or posed a threat to us, destroyed to appease the vanity of two men.

He has to answer for this in a court of law.

I really thought Chilcot would be a whitewash, looks like he went to Farrow and Ball for the paint instead.

To suggest Blair was responsible for this deception strikes me as believing our PM has authoritarian powers I just cannot believe actually exist. I find it a huge leap to suggest that in the corridors of power, the intelligence community, military, civil service etc. that Blair's lone presentation of this led an ignorant parliament to the decision to go to war.

This went far deeper than Tony Blair, or even George Bush. Blaming those two is a convenient veil of where power actually resides, something that is perhaps too frightening to contemplate.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Quote from Tony Smarm

'I will take full responsibility for any mistakes without exception or excuse. I will at the same time say why, nonetheless, I believe that it was better to remove Saddam Hussein and why I do not believe this is the cause of the terrorism we see today whether in the Middle East or elsewhere in the world.'

The man is an idiot. Virtually all our current evils associated with IS and the like are down to his actions and the last sentence is totally wrong.

So we now have a report that shows that a Labour government can't be relied on to keep peace.

We also know from successive Labour governments that they can't be relied on to keep the economy under control.

We also know from successive Labour governments that they can't be relied on to keep the NHS and Social Benefits system under control.

What can they keep under control?

Never ever should we elect that lot again........a message that seems to be finally sinking in to the electorate..

TNBA

TTF

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To suggest Blair was responsible for this deception strikes me as believing our PM has authoritarian powers I just cannot believe actually exist. I find it a huge leap to suggest that in the corridors of power, the intelligence community, military, civil service etc. that Blair's lone presentation of this led an ignorant parliament to the decision to go to war.

This went far deeper than Tony Blair, or even George Bush. Blaming those two is a convenient veil of where power actually resides, something that is perhaps too frightening to contemplate.

I remember Blair telling Iain Duncan Smith, who was leader of the opposition at the time, that "We" definitely have proof that Saddam has WMD.

I, like many other others, assumed that the PM shared his proof with the leader of the Opp. This never happened. IDS just took Blair's word for it and backed him.

To this day I don't know why something so important was not shared. If it was true what was there to worry about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here