Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we don't sign anybody else ......,

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
4th at present. But with a marquee striker, creative central midfielder and a couple of top notch defenders probably second.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think you're being over-optimistic. We still need three, maybe four, players before the transfer and loan windows close:
-- another striker (rapid, young?, knows where the goal is -- probably a loan or from abroad)
-- a defender, full (ideally left) back or versatile centre back
-- a midfielder and/or another defender

Very concerned about Newcastle and perhaps Norwich, but beyond that there's no reason why we shouldn't be challenging alongside Derby, Villa, Sheff Wed and Bristol City as likeliest dark horse.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Top 6, but not top 2.
There's no guarantee that the big money signings that other clubs have made will come good, or that an expensive striker will do the business for us, but we have a good solid base and good team spirit. We're still 3 players short of top 2 I reckon

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Does anyone at present have a better midfield than us? Not many have two better central defenders either.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we don't lose anyone and have minimal injury worries, then we have a top 3 squad.
Slightly up on last year, with a slight gap at full back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Our first 11 is probably top 4, but to turn it into top 2 we need another excellent striker.

Then it comes down to luck with injuries.

Humemeier is out for the first few games and it is too much to expect Ben Hall to start as 3rd choice central defence, so another centre back is essential.

Next priority is a fullback as we only have 3.

That's the must haves, lesser priorities are :

- If 2 or more of Holla, JFC and Ince go we'll need another central midfielder.

- And then a 5th choice striker - most promoted teams go with 5 rather than 4 strikers on the books.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Top 6 as it stands (possibly top 3 if lucky with injuries but could go the other way and drop out top 6 with horrendous luck)

An Andre Gray type signing away from top 2.

July 6th and we are good to go for a top 6 assault is pretty special though. Not many times I've seen that happen in my Albion life, if at all.

Absolutely key we keep Stephens and Kayal or minimum of 1. Losing them changes everything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not in relegation trouble, but not far away.

A top notch striker to complement the other 3 and we might not need the playoffs.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A poacher away from walking the championship.

Im not as worried about the 3 who dropped from the premiership as I was in May since their players are slowly jumping ship.

We have the beating of anybody in this league on our day and if we hadn't had lost both Bong & Rosenior at the same time last season we would've made the top two.

currently I think we could finish top 2 if we escape injuries and suspensions but if we replace the 4 squad players who were released and the two loanees who have returned to parent clubs with 6 players who will compete for a starting spot then it is ours for the taking

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't rule out a tilt at the title but I reckon the usual somewhere between 3rd and 6th. Slightly annoyed at the type of players Newcastle are recruiting as I was hoping they'd remain a complete basket case.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
4th at present. But with a marquee striker, creative central midfielder and a couple of top notch defenders probably second.

This a little optimistic, no? How many 'first team' defenders can we afford/accommodate? Bruno, Dunk, Huenemeir, Goldson, Bong, Rosenior plus Hall, Dallison and maybe Forbes. I think we may get one more versatile defender but not necessarily a first team addition.

Quinny

Banned
Jul 27, 2014
The three promoted clubs are nowhere near finished spending yet I fear so we could be left quite a way behind because their spending power is obviously so much bigger than ours. If we manage to keep hold of the likes of Dunk, Knockaert and Kayal then a tilt at the top six is not beyond us again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here