Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magic Sponge the best medical tool in history?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Remember those tackles you used to get in the park on a Sunday morning, hacked from the side by some Neanderthal and an old boy on your team, usually the back up lines man, would burst onto the pitch with a bucket of cold water and a sponge, drench the area of pain usually the foot and say "should be fine now son." The sponge seemed to cure all injuries!

injuries_extravaganza-590x401.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have vague recollections when I was very young of the magic sponge being used on John Wylie during the Ipswich v West Brom 78 Cup semi-final. An awful clash of heads but Wylie chose to play on. Washed away the blood with the sponge, bandage round his head and he was right as rain!

article-2305318-1926FE00000005DC-988_470x672.jpg
article-2305318-1926FE1D000005DC-766_470x672.jpg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh for the days when a football club consisted of a team, some apprentices to maintain the ground, a manager, a trainer, a groundsman and a bloke with a bucket and sponge. The football was just as entertaining - just a bit cheaper.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
B79xcHHIIAAtp5w.jpg

Steve Perryman kicked in the eye vs Arsenal, get the sponge out!

Jul 7, 2003
Medical Science has back-peddled a lot since the two best treatments were "Magic Sponge" and "Kiss it Better"

You have forgotten "run it off".

Back in the day a team mate took a nasty whack on the ankle with about 10 minutes to go in a match and no subs left. He was given said magic sponge and told to run it off which he duly did.

After the match, the swelling and pain increased dramatically so we dropped him off at A&E on the way back to pub so they could give him some painkillers and strap it up. We were a little embarrassed by our actions when, several hours later, he turns up with his leg in plaster and tells us he has a broken ankle.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Remember those tackles you used to get in the park on a Sunday morning, hacked from the side by some Neanderthal and an old boy on your team, usually the back up lines man, would burst onto the pitch with a bucket of cold water and a sponge, drench the area of pain usually the foot and say "should be fine now son." The sponge seemed to cure all injuries!

[MENTION=19886]Magic Sponge[/MENTION] posts on here.

That would be me then :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here