Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was in Australia for a bit too recently wasn't he ?

Lucky lad to be carving out pro cricket & football careers even if he doesn't appear to have mastered either yet

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lucky lad to be carving out pro cricket & football careers even if he doesn't appear to have mastered either yet

He's not the greatest cricketer but you're a bit harsh on him. His batting average is higher than most of the Sussex team of the 70s - Buss, Morley, Barclay, Faber, Parsons, Graves, Groome, Phillipson - he out-performs them all. I've seen worse than Gatting

As a footballer however ....

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Players today are able to, up average with so called first class games against University or touring sides going thru motions. Gatting no exception with an early career 150no. Without doubt county cricket lot tougher before.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Players today are able to, up average with so called first class games against University or touring sides going thru motions. Gatting no exception with an early career 150no. Without doubt county cricket lot tougher before.

Averages are higher now but not for the reasons you mention. They played against universities in the 70s too. Tourist games against the likes of the Aussies and Windies may have been tough, the other touring sides weren't as good as they are now.

But 70s players did have to cope with uncovered wickets, that's what makes the big difference (and England bowlers played for their counties then too).

However, while Gatting's average is just above some of those players I mentioned, in some cases he's nearly 50 percent better (and twice in one case). Like I said, he's no great cricketer but only just short of county standard, Sussex have had worse who played for longer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here