Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new national anthem?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line? I'm starting to suspect the latter. Personally, the meaningless, sycophantic dirge just does nothing for me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At some point in the next 20 years, sadly and inevitably, the mother of the nation, HM The Queen will pass away, meaning her son and first born, HRH The Prince of Wales, will become King. The result of which will mean a new national anthem - 'God Save The King'. Job done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Our anthem is dire. It is probably the worst anthem imaginable. The music is dreary, the message is woefully divisive.

Get. Rid.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line? I'm starting to suspect the latter. Personally, the meaningless, sycophantic dirge just does nothing for me.

How does that explain Spain, with their national anthem having no words?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lets have 'Ode to Joy' by Beethoven as our national anthem. Everyone loves that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Let's put it to the GREAT BRITISH POPULATION in a referendum shall we?

Then let the British establishment interrupt and argue over the result and so long as they'll be okay in the future and everyone else isn't, proceed with implementing the result and adopting a new anthem. I like it.

Our anthem is dire. It is probably the worst anthem imaginable. The music is dreary, the message is woefully divisive.

Get. Rid.

Totally agree, and I am a Monarchist.

I find it odd that some people sing about a god they don't believe in asking him/her to save something they want removed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So you are trying to convince yourself that England go out of tournaments because of a song?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here