Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoooooooof ......Coming soon to a stadium near you

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Listening to Linlicker last night it seemed that he had forgotten about Iceland and i suppose Portugal , and that it would be a France v Germany final , in pretty much the same way he forecast the England Portugal quarter final , how did that one go for you Gary ? i have enjoyed watching Iceland but probably enjoyed more the looks on their own supporters faces when they score or nutmeg a opponent as if they themselves can't believe what they're seeing , even though they dumped us out i would love it if they dump the French as well , if Iceland do go out i think they will have left their mark on the competition for years to come and we will be hearing a lot more of the rowing song this coming season , Magnifique .

[yt]eLP6087ETwY[/yt]

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Iceland v Wales final, stunnin'

Would be fitting for a truly stunnin' tournament.

I honestly can't remember a tournament as dull and devoid of quality and excitement as this one. The Icelandic chant being the high point just about sums it up really.

That's not bad loser syndrome either. I'd be saying the same if England were still in it, because it's true.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Would be fitting for a truly stunnin' tournament.

I honestly can't remember a tournament as dull and devoid of quality and excitement as this one. The Icelandic chant being the high point just about sums it up really.

That's not bad loser syndrome either. I'd be saying the same if England were still in it, because it's true.

It is really quite dull isn't it?

The Welsh Belgium/France Ireland game are the only games that spring to mind as being enjoyable.

Portugal are in the Semi without winning a game.

Last nights game was terrible,Italy didn't really bother to attack, which has been the story of the tournament so far.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats what happens when you expand it to 24 teams, letting in loads of bang-average defensive minnows, and letting four 3rd place teams go through, putting the emphasis on avoiding defeat rather than going for the win. Its wrecked what used to be a high quality tournament from start to finish.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Better than a group stage would be 2 legged first round matches then the losers are drawn to play each other with the four highest scoring winners going through.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thats what happens when you expand it to 24 teams, letting in loads of bang-average defensive minnows, and letting four 3rd place teams go through, putting the emphasis on avoiding defeat rather than going for the win. Its wrecked what used to be a high quality tournament from start to finish.

They should have just had more groups/ less third place teams go through.

I imagine it will be 32 teams soon enough.

Another option is to do what the rugby WC did - have another round for the teams that finish 3rd - give them a reason not to finish third

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Listening to Linlicker last night it seemed that he had forgotten about Iceland and i suppose Portugal , and that it would be a France v Germany final

In fairness he was only forgetting about Iceland as it will be a Germany France semi final if France beat Iceland

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

wales beat belgium fair and square.......iceland beat us cos we are shit and have a clueless manager........just like the closing gap between championship and all but 6 or 7 prem teams , the players are all pro's so a lot more of the results are down to pure ticker......of which we are bereft i'm afraid.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They should have just had more groups/ less third place teams go through.

I imagine it will be 32 teams soon enough.

Another option is to do what the rugby WC did - have another round for the teams that finish 3rd - give them a reason not to finish third

Teams who finished third in the WRC2015 groups packed their bags and went home. England being one of them.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Don't agree.

The 'defensive minnows' - (Wales? Iceland?) finished first and second in their respective groups. The only defensive minnows who made it through who finished third (Northern Ireland) were soon dumped out in the next round.

It's only Portgual who have taken advantage of this system, and even then, getting through the second round and QF has nothing to do with the 24 team format.

I'd suggest the quality of the competition is no higher or lower than the 2012 tournament (a rapidly failing Spain aside), or the 2008 tournament.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would love a Wales v Iceland final. That would send the UEFA suits stir crazy. They'd probably change the rules so it didn't happen again.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But the format is designed to maximise tv time and revenue - so to expect major changes and restricting the number of games is not going to happen, even though it is bloated. No tournament should take over a month to complete, as it just gets tedious - isolated games aside where something actually happens - up to and possibly including the final.

All sports do it - cricket rugby and football have these gargantuan timespans mainly because they can only play one game at a time because of the tv requirements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here