Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Currys - can someone explain their phone price strategy..?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Some phones had THREE prices-
1/ Free (if on a contract),
2/ £69 'handset only' (ie, SIM free, unlocked);
3, £27 'PAYG', plus £10 obligatory topup - though phone not locked until the SIM goes in..

Even with a likely £10-15 unlock charge (done elsewhere) on top of the PAYG,, i cant see why someone would pay another tenner or so, the odds, for sim free option?

If you indicate that you are going to use own SIM, they wont sell you the cheaper option..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
mobile phone industry is a bizarre world, as i understand it they will get a rebate/sign on fee from the network for the PAYG option. that and people will be simple/tech illiterate enough if they want SIM free to want that whatever.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Anyone who gets a phone on a contract is a MUG.
Cheaper to buy the phone outright and get a sim-only or payg deal

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I pay BT £5 a month for unlimited minutes / unlimited text and 500 mb data. On a 12 month contract. I am a customer though!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

I have always thought this and never been able to get my head around why anyone take out a committal contract for £30-40 per month.
Seems bizarre yet many people do it :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yep. Even better, buy your phone of Ebay. I bought an all singing and dancing Samsung the other day. Makes me a coffee in the morning, does my cleaning for me. Best smartphone in the world when it came out three years ago. £125 now. Bargain. SIM only contracts are best.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yep. Even better, buy your phone of Ebay. I bought an all singing and dancing Samsung the other day. Makes me a coffee in the morning, does my cleaning for me. Best smartphone in the world when it came out three years ago. £125 now. Bargain. SIM only contracts are best.

Best time to buy is when the new model comes out; I bought my iphone 5s just after the 6 was released, Ebay was flooded with them so prices were low.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Yep, I purchased my phone 2 years ago, got a GiffGaff sim card which operates on the O2 network, it's non contract, £20 a month for unlimited minutes, unlimited Data and unlimited texts, I use my phone for work rather than have a company phone and they give me £20 a month for me doing so............Happy Days! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here