• In - Single market - freedom of movement

Votes: 49 76.6%
  • Out - install EU Immigration controls

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Regardless of how you voted, I believe the single biggest issue now is whether we stay in the single market with freedom of movement or we leave and install EU Immigration controls

So which is it ?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Regardless of how you voted, I believe the single biggest issue now is whether we stay in the single market with freedom of movement or we leave and install EU Immigration controls

So which is it ?

I don't believe that we will continue with freedom of movement. This is one of the main reasons behind the Leave vote, and because you cannot have one without the other. We will leave on the WTO terms, and then have to spend years renegotiating, just lilke Canada. That took 7 years to finalise. Rocky times ahead.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Single Market :thumbsup:

No brainer isn't it... surely we will stay... surely... surely ??? maybe not :(

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who knows ?

If we get goons negotiating who don't deliver access to the single market, then clearly not.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Increased controls on EU migration and access to the single market is a certainty. Most countries in the world access and trade with the single market/EU without any movement of people rules. It's all about the level and cost of access which is unlikely to be the same as we have now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Increased controls on EU migration and access to the single market is a certainty. Most countries in the world access and trade with the single market/EU without any movement of people rules. It's all about the level and cost of access which is unlikely to be the same as we have now.

So out ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

There were examples quoted by Cameron at PMQ on the tariffs that would be applied to exports to the EU based on WTO rates. I forget the types of goods but the highest rate was 37%.
No doubt we will he looking to discount these towards the single market but who knows where we will end up.
Stormy waters ahead

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Everything will be up for discussion. To have a major member want to leave is a big shock to the EU, even if they are playing hardball publicly.
The UK will want access to the Single Market definitely, but with restricted movement of people up for negotiation. And I would not be surprised if they got it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we will end up with a half way house of as much access as we can retain with some restrictions on free movement ... the devil will be in the detail and spun to death by both sides so they can present it as a victory .
Agreed. A deal will be done.

Whatever is said before negotiations is an opening position, even if a so called 'red line'. All is negotiable.

I suspect it reduces down to the more we want on our terms, the bigger the fee we pay.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
didnt we have a national poll on this recently?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The UK will want access to the Single Market definitely, but with restricted movement of people up for negotiation. And I would not be surprised if they got it.

So you are saying Out ? (Anyone can have access to the market, if they pay the fees the EU decide, but being in it is significantly different).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Almost every country country has access to the single market, they just pay varying degrees of import/export duty.

There's so many variables involved it's probably not even worth speculating on. You've got to hope someone in the FCO is going round headhunting the most experienced people in international trade negotiation.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
So the foreseeable future will involve us trying to negotiate something with looks as much like what we have now as possible whilst making it appear that democracy is served by trying to demonstrate that some foreigners are being inconvenienced. Meanwhile the people of Merthyr find themselves with fewer secure jobs and find out that many local facilities will close as they were funded by EU structural funds. Confused you may be...angry many will be.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Everything will be up for discussion. To have a major member want to leave is a big shock to the EU, even if they are playing hardball publicly.

I think negotiations will be very hard, if by some miracle we get a great deal all the other eu members will want to leave. Cant see the EU letting that happen.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think negotiations will be very hard, if by some miracle we get a great deal all the other eu members will want to leave. Cant see the EU letting that happen.
This is true.

However, it may be trickier and costlier for Eurozone members to leave, so perhaps our deal isn't that relevant to them.

Non Eurozone members are Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Sweden.

Only Denmark and Sweden stand out as 'leavers' from that list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here