Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Just watching the Portugal Poland National Anthems and the announcer spoke in English. Gosh that must pee the French off that they are having to speak English in their own stadiums

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just watching the Portugal Poland National Anthems and the announcer spoke in English. Gosh that must pee the French off that they are having to speak English in their own stadiums

I reckon the Poles will get a great reception when they land at Gatwick, either tomorrow or in the future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It doesn't. I spent the last two weeks with the French watching French tv. They're not bothered.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It doesn't. I spent the last two weeks with the French watching French tv. They're not bothered.

really? dont they have an official institution that makes considerable effort creating French words to replicate the many English words that get created in world of technology?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
really? dont they have an official institution that makes considerable effort creating French words to replicate the many English words that get created in world of technology?

I've no idea. I have spent time with French friends and holidaymakers, who love to try their English out on me, which leads to strange conversations where I am speaking French and they reply in English.
As I said, I have watched the matches on French tv, and nobody batted an eyelid at the English announcements. It is an international language that all the teams and officials understand.

Later this year, the Olympics will be the same. All announcements in French & English.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

There is the Académie française, which has sought to preserve the French language with hard and fast rules, attempting to ensure that, unlike English, it doesn't really evolve.

However, that's twaddle. All cultures evolve, and many languages, including French, incoporate scientific, technical and cultural phrases into their modern usage.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where are all those postcards in shop windows that used to advertise 'French lessons'
No wonder it's all English now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Later this year, the Olympics will be the same. All announcements in French & English.

that is rather telling, in country speaking Portugese. i too have experienced the French quite happy to talk English, im still left with a idea that as a matter of national identity they loth the anglicisation of the world.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
that is rather telling, in country speaking Portugese. i too have experienced the French quite happy to talk English, im still left with a idea that as a matter of national identity loth the anglicisation of the world.

It's not telling. The founder of the modern Olympics was French.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still the lingua franca (ho ho)

Still the lingua franca (how ironic). Till Brexit anyway. Soon we will have to watch them all speaking in Russian :ffsparr:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

If they do no one uses it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It does piss them off...a lot. Even the choice of the official song for the Euro Finals caused arguments. This is a country that has a bunch of old farts tasked with preserving the language against foreign invasion to the point of officially banning lots of words. It's held them back esp. in computing and technology.

It's a nice enough language as languages go but my biggest gripe is that their swear words sound so wimpy. When you really want to let rip there's nothing quite like good old Anglo-Saxon - especially when accompanied with a two finger salute

Edit - Albion Roar has beaten me to it.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
It may be a generational thing, but most French couldn't give a shit. They'll pick and choose which words they adopt.
Spanish advertising agencies however use slogans in English as apparently it is considered sophisticated. Them silly Spaniels...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here