This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the economy hasn't crashed.
    we haven't left yet.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagull58 View Post
      You may need 400 people in total to handle trade negotiations but I'd be very surprised if they all had to be experts in the topic. The ones making travel arrangements and printing and binding documents certainly don't have to be.
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      You may need 400 people in total to handle trade negotiations but I'd be very surprised if they all had to be experts in the topic. The ones making travel arrangements and printing and binding documents certainly don't have to be.
      Nope. He was very clear on this point. 400. We have between 12 and 20 as all trade negotiations have been done via the EU for the last 40 years. And anticipating a possible comeback from you he also said that people with the needed skills do not exist in the private sector. Business deals - yes. Trade negotiations- no.
      Half measures availed us nothing.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      As beorthelm and I have already mentioned, it's highly unlikely that there'll be an election before 2020. Pressure from whom? The electorate? They've already spoken. The Labour party? They're in too much of a mess for an election.

And even if the new leader wanted one: how is he/she going to get it? As I mentioned earlier, I keep asking people who talk about early elections how that's going to happen and no-one ever answers
      I agree, with the fixed term parliaments, I don't even know if there is a way to even call an early election. However, with the current political turmoil, a divided country I think the remain 48% will want a new election and put pressure on for this. We are really in unchartered territory.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dejavuatbtn View Post
      Ah, Gove, the educationalists favourite friend. If, like me, you were worried before, then God help us now.
      Gove has stated that Boris Johnson was not capable of uniting the country.

Is the clown totally bereft of a single shred of self-awareness?
      We've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good
      I have to celebrate you Brighton, I have to praise you like I should
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by marshy68 View Post
      I agree, with the fixed term parliaments, I don't even know if there is a way to even call an early election. However, with the current political turmoil, a divided country I think the remain 48% will want a new election and put pressure on for this. We are really in unchartered territory.
      We are, but:
      -- us Remain lot need to accept that we lost, and that we'll have to see what a post-Brexit world looks like, perhaps sparkling up a Rejoin campaign if the future turns out as we anticipate
      -- really, what do you think you're going to get out of a general election in the next few months? I suspect that the outcome would be even worse than it currently is.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by marshy68 View Post
      There are three ways to call an early election

a) A vote of no confidence in the new PM. That's clearly not going to happen. It may happen after Article 50 talks are concluded but that's off the agenda for two years at least

b) A two-thirds vote of the House (the whole House not MPs present). The Labour party are no state to fight an election now but they would need to vote for it. Tories + SNP + Others wouldn't be enough.

c) A repeal of the FTPA. This could happen but there would need to be parliamentary time allocated and to push it through quickly there would need to be a guillotine on the motion. Not sure how that would be received by the electorate, it may be seen as something anti-democratic given we had a referendum

For b and c, there would need to be considerable Tory support for a GE. I'm not convinced that Brexiters would vote for something if it were seen to be a way of circumventing the Leave vote

There is a possibility that b could happen if pro-Remain Tories, Labour and SNP were to come together and push it through. The numbers are tight however and it would only need a couple of MPs not to play along for the idea to fall through

I would be astonished if there were an election before 2020
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      He also pointed out that even if, by some miracle, you could get 400 trained up (which he said was impossible) then they would be torn apart by the cream of 27 other countries highly experienced negotiators.

He wasn't being nashing and wailing about this, just presenting it matter of factly like a good Civil Servant.
      Half measures availed us nothing.
      I hate the Daily Mail Doc Lynam's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      MG "There were many of my friends saying MICHAEL, we understand your reluctance to run, but we believe you are better equipped, we believe your experience in government, we believe your deeply held CONVICTIONS; we believe that your vision for this country is right. I reflected on those, reflected on what id seen in the last week and came reluctantly,, but FIRMLY to the conclusion that i should stand and Boris should stand aside."

The word hero is overused these days, and it is in this case as well!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Merry Prankster View Post
      He also pointed out that even if, by some miracle, you could get 400 trained up (which he said was impossible) then they would be torn apart by the cream of 27 other countries highly experienced negotiators.

He wasn't being nashing and wailing about this, just presenting it matter of factly like a good Civil Servant.
      Exactly, and this cream of highly experienced negotiators also have a 3 month head start on us.