Mo Farah 20/1
Laura Trott 25/1
Chris Froome 33/1
Bradley Wiggins 33/1
Adam Peaty 33/1

66/1 bar

E/W 1/5 1-2-3

Any fancies ???
Vardy looks too a short price to me after England's euro flop.
I've had a punt on Peaty at bigger prices myself - probably still some juice in the double carpet if you can get on with FEARLESS Victor.
If Joshua was going to fight (and beat Fury) for the title he'd have been a shoo-in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mauro Itoje of Saracens and England for me. English Champions, European Champions, 6 Nations Grand Slam and whitewash of the Wallabies down under, he never has a bad game. Immense year, top athlete.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Mauro Itoje of Saracens and England for me. English Champions, European Champions, 6 Nations Grand Slam and whitewash of the Wallabies down under, he never has a bad game. Immense year, top athlete.

Only quoted by SkyBet - 80/1

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some stats for you

You have to go back to 1996 to find a winner who wasn't an Olympian in an Olympic year.
Only 2 English winners in the past 9 years. Hamilton and Wiggins. The Welsh and Scotch back their own.
Cycling winners have done well in Olympic years. Hoy and Wiggins both winners. Adlingtons double gold wasn't enough.
Only Leigh Halfpenny has placed in Rugby union in recent years. England maybe playing superbly but it doesn't pay to look for the winner there.
Murray placed in 3 of the last 4 years.
Recency bias always plays a part.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Always the chance of an obscure member of the royal family winning a Pony Club event?
Seriously - looks like it should be an Olympian but it would be a brave punt to take in advance of Rio. No rowers mentioned?

el punal

Good call. Unfortunately team players rarely get a look in unless some phenomenal event has taken place. Think Gazza's tears at Italia '90 or Jonny's drop goal to win the RWC in 2003. Then factor in the female vote and you'll end with up some ice dance bronze medallist as the winner. :D

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wiggins doubled it up with a TDF win to take the prize in 2012 - don't think he'll do that this year.
Froome is fav for the TDF and is in the road race squad.

I don't disagree with the logic but I just don't think Froome is popular whether that is because of the unsubstantiated drug allegations or his Kenyan heritage I don't know. Wiggins at 36 and his mod haircut will get the platitudes especially if he makes a pre arranged off the cuff quip after winning his gold. Froome won the TDF last year and was nowhere in a weak field.

I seem to remember Lizzie Armistead being a media darling last time round. Worth a poke at 66s?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't disagree with the logic but I just don't think Froome is popular whether that is because of the unsubstantiated drug allegations or his Kenyan heritage I don't know. Wiggins at 36 and his mod haircut will get the platitudes especially if he makes a pre arranged off the cuff quip after winning his gold. Froome won the TDF last year and was nowhere in a weak field.

I seem to remember Lizzie Armistead Worth a poke at 66s?
Thanks a lot, with your last line you've saved me from saddling up my high horse. :love: :kiss: :lolol:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I seem to remember Lizzie Armistead being a media darling last time round. Worth a poke at 66s?

I see where you're coming from but I'm still not sure one Gold Medal is enough for a cyclist. Sir Chris Hoy won THREE.
If Peaty can win two golds then he should hit the frame, a repeat of the world champs when he won three he'd be fav in my book.
I take it Lewis Hamilton's car is shite this year then ???

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With The Ryder Cup, The Open, The Olympics and Wimbledon to name just a few major events still to come this year, it's a bit of a long shot to predict anyone this early

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I see where you're coming from but I'm still not sure one Gold Medal is enough for a cyclist. Sir Chris Hoy won THREE.
If Peaty can win two golds then he should hit the frame, a repeat of the world champs when he won three he'd be fav in my book.
I take it Lewis Hamilton's car is shite this year then ???

I like F1 but even I'm bored shitless by it.

I'd love to see Peaty win but I just can't see it (EW different story). If Adlington can't win I can't see Peaty doing it.

What the crack with Ennis elbow this year?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Always the chance of an obscure member of the royal family winning a Pony Club event?
Seriously - looks like it should be an Olympian but it would be a brave punt to take in advance of Rio. No rowers mentioned?

With The Ryder Cup, The Open, The Olympics and Wimbledon to name just a few major events still to come this year, it's a bit of a long shot to predict anyone this early

By all means wait 'til October if you like backing odd-on shots :moo:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good call. Unfortunately team players rarely get a look in unless some phenomenal event has taken place. Think Gazza's tears at Italia '90 or Jonny's drop goal to win the RWC in 2003. Then factor in the female vote and you'll end with up some ice dance bronze medallist as the winner. :D

The thing about Itoje is that he doesn't have a track record before 2016. Unless you follow rugby union you might not be aware of his impact. Apart from him Saracens were pretty much the same team / coach as previous seasons but he has been the X Factor for Saracens that has turned them from European contenders to being the best club side in the Northern Hemisphere.

In order to underline his brilliance he's done the same thing for England, and he's inspired the likes of Robshaw, Haskell and Kruis around him to up their game another level too, so he even has a "personality" to go with his ability.

I know how SPOTY works and I know he won't win, but he should definitely be in the list of contenders and he definitely deserves much wider recognition for his achievements, he is the complete role model for any youngster wanting to compete in sport at the highest level.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Mo Farah... Should have won it 4 years ago... Odds on fav to win both races in this Olympics. A great achievement winning golds at back to back Olympics at both distances

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
After the referendum can you imagine an immigrant winning - as much as he deserves it.

It did cross my mind however it could work the other way. Show that with all this shit going on the BBC aren't racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here