Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing a safety pin!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
This may come across as a bit harsh but I certainly won't won't wear one.

How's this for an idea....

I will go about my normal business in every day life talking to anyone and anyone I meet with respect.

If everyone else did the same then the racists will soon enough give up with their personal vitriols' and immigrants can carry on with their normal lives.

Or is that too simplistic?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I will go about my normal business in every day life talking to anyone and anyone I meet with respect.

If everyone else did the same then the racists will soon enough give up with their personal vitriols' and immigrants can carry on with their normal lives.

Completely agree.

It's a horrible sign of our society when we have to wear something to show solidarity against racism. The majority of people don't go around around being racist and it is us to us to show tolerance through actions not a flaming safety pin!

edit: Even saying 'showing tolerance' annoys me. It makes it sounds as if you have to tolerate other nationalities/colours/religions when it should just be a case of acceptance/normality that people are all different

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's a sad sign of the times that people feel we have to show we're not racist.

Anything that shows solidarity to Eastern European women is positive though and if wearing one in public makes it more likely that an attractive Eastern European lady and me would strike up a conversation, then I say dobry.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Well you could argue that could also be a reason for not wearing a poppy.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011

The point is that a that's is a massive "if", cos obviously we are very far from everybody doing that. So yes, you're being quite simplistic there

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its another piece of social media twattery from some handwringing BEDWETTER who hasn't got anything better to do with his or her time than dreaming up vacuous "gestures" like this in the hope of sending it viral, to make themselves feel reeeeally right-on.

Whats next. Shall I wear a paperclip on my left earlobe to reassure everyone that I'm not a paedo ? How about sellotaping a jellybean to my eyelid to say to everyone that I'm not a serial killer ?

Bunch of ponce.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In the wake of an increase in reports of hate crime following the EU referendum, Londoner Allison had the idea over the weekend to get people to wear a safety pin on their clothes to show solidarity against racism.

I think this is a great idea :)

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/ar...pin-in-solidarity-with-immigrants--Wy_HSHcxSb

Sorry, boring liberal leftie twaddle. From someone who voted 'Remain' and was embarrassed by the uneducated numpties on numerous occasions in recent days.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I think it's a crap idea. However, will the likes of me be viewed as a racist for not having a safety pin on display?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Well you could argue that could also be a reason for not wearing a poppy.

I buy a poppy every year but don't wear them. Everyone on tv wears one for a month beforehand and it's not as if I don't know that November 11th is a special day. I still pay my respects and observe the minutes silence. Does me not wearing the poppy tell everyone else in the country that I'm a nazi loving right winger?

No it doesn't. Because I don't wear one doesn't mean I don't care.

There's also the fact if I do wear one I will forget that I have it on and undoubtedly stab myself in the finger taking my coat off or getting the pin stuck in my eye as I take my jumper off one night one evening as I've forgotten it's there.

The point is that a that's is a massive "if", cos obviously we are very far from everybody doing that. So yes, you're being quite simplistic there[/QUOT]

The racist attacks are still a very small minority. If the media stopped publicising them so much then the attacks will stop. From personal experience I've found racists to have very short attention spans in general. As soon as there's another news story they will switch to hating something else. And Im not condoning them in any way btw. But things will settle down again and the racists will find themselves outnumbered and chastised again and shrink back into the hole they came from.

wearing a safety pin has nothing to do with keeping immigrants safe or making them feel welcome. They're already welcomed by the vast majority and they know that. The safety pin idea is more about the people wearing them and their weird sense of feeling that they belong to a special group than stopping racism.

Its another piece of social media twattery from some handwringing BEDWETTER who hasn't got anything better to do with his or her time than dreaming up vacuous "gestures" like this in the hope of sending it viral, to make themselves feel reeeeally right-on.

Whats next. Shall I wear a paperclip on my left earlobe to reassure everyone that I'm not a paedo ? How about sellotaping a jellybean to my eyelid to say to everyone that I'm not a serial killer ?

Bunch of ponce.

This made me genuinely laugh. Well done!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Bunch of ponce.

Totally agree, another example of the constant all consuming need for validation on social media, validation that their opinions are shared, that their photos are liked, that people don't think them racist etc. Many of these people have lost the skill to communicate face to face and need to get out more and actually spend time with real people having real conversations where they will find agreement with their opinions in a more subtle environment withiut the need to pursue it online every waking second of the day.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Completely agree.

It's a horrible sign of our society when we have to wear something to show solidarity against racism. The majority of people don't go around around being racist and it is us to us to show tolerance through actions not a flaming safety pin!

edit: Even saying 'showing tolerance' annoys me. It makes it sounds as if you have to tolerate other nationalities/colours/religions when it should just be a case of acceptance/normality that people are all different

It's a sad sign of the times that people feel we have to show we're not racist.

Anything that shows solidarity to Eastern European women is positive though and if wearing one in public makes it more likely that an attractive Eastern European lady and me would strike up a conversation, then I say dobry.

Bunch of ponce.

What a load of shite.

Sorry, boring liberal leftie twaddle. From someone who voted 'Remain' and was embarrassed by the uneducated numpties on numerous occasions in recent days.

I think it's a crap idea. However, will the likes of me be viewed as a racist for not having a safety pin on display?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well guys I really didn't think that this was such a bad idea.
I agree that people should be taken at face value, even if it means not wearing a 'marker' to show where you may becoming from.
I bow down to your superior knowledge, no insult intended :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree that people should be taken at face value, even if it means not wearing a 'marker' to show where you may becoming from.

I know you didn't mean it as an insult.

But honestly. The whole concept that I should walk around wearing a safety pin so that an immigrant / foreign national or whatever can feel SAFE around me, is one of the most idiotic concepts I have ever heard of. I'm sure whoever dreamt this up did it with the right intentions. But it doesn't alter the fact that they have displayed some catastrophic bell-cheesery at a truly WEAPONS GRADE level.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

There were Tweets made on the link you provided by a black woman, who was strongly against it who seemed to make the point it's simply 'look at me I'm white and not racist.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here