Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th ODI: England v Sri Lanka at The Oval

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England win toss and BOWL

England Team

JJ Roy, AD Hales, JE Root, EJG Morgan*, JM Bairstow, JC Buttler†, CR Woakes, DJ Willey, MM Ali, AU Rashid, LE Plunkett

Sri Lanka Team

MDKJ Perera, MD Gunathilaka, BKG Mendis, WU Tharanga, LD Chandimal†, AD Mathews*, MD Shanaka, MF Maharoof, S Prasanna, N Pradeep, RAS Lakmal

Weather unlikely to allow a full game according to CricInfo :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
a D/L game at best I would think. The Sri Lankans will be digging out their third jumpers and beanies again.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
When the forecast is as poor as it is today they should automatically bring the overs down to say a 30 over a side game.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When the forecast is as poor as it is today they should automatically bring the overs down to say a 30 over a side game.

Been brought up on CricInfo

Do you think we should be able to shorten international games before they start if it's highly likely we won't get a full day's play? It was obviously going to rain in the afternoon in the last ODI and still SL batted for 50 overs in a totally futile effort. No result, waste of money for the supporters etc etc. Surely cricket would have been better served by suggesting a 30 or 35 over game at the toss? Would be a shame to only get one innings again!" It's a good debate

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Been brought up on CricInfo

Totally agree with that, supporters would rather see a contest rather than a washout (where they get no refund if more than 25 overs are bowled which in itself is disgusting) with a complete innings from one side but nothing from the other.

I understand there is ambiguity with where to draw the line on how poor the forecast needs to be before they reduce overs before the game starts and there are risks that they might get lucky and miss much of the poor weather but something should be done on these occasions.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't worry, rain about to put paid to that by the look of things.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
SL 78-1 (12 overs)

Despite the weather, it is a belter out there.

Looks like 320+ will be needed if, and it's a big IF, we get a full game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bayliss must have been doing a rain dance, we desperately needed the break as Sri Lanka were hammering us.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Covers coming off, inspection around 20 past, possible play at 4.30

This annoys me every bloody time. If it has stopped raining, get out there and start playing :rant:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looking out of my window here, I'm amazed they ever even started play today. It has THROWN it down all day.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Play resumed, but lost interest. Never going to get a full match here so what the point.

SL 148/2 off 22 overs

Edit: just spotted now a 42 overs match

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Play resumed, but lost interest. Never going to get a full match here so what the point.

SL 148/2 off 22 overs

Why not, it is scheduled for 42 overs per side now.

9 off the 23rd over... and a wicket in the 24th

158-3 (23.2 overs, RR6.77)... heading for 285+ off 42 overs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here