Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the words mixed up

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There seems to be confusion, or lack of knowledge, of some words and witch/which is correct.

There/their/they're are of course the common examples, but recently I have noticed people using mute instead of moot quite a lot.

I'm sure there are many other examples.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
definitely/defiantly - not sure if this is a predictive text thing but it is increasingly common.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Its something those grammer police are going to love is'nt it. There be all over this won.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This was a big problem in the days of King ****, the Danish king who famously tried to turn back the waves. Even though his name was spelt **** one thousand years later we're still forced to used the incorrect, Anglicised version Canute.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Than and then I see a lot. Makes some sentences very funny, some poster on here put 'I'd rather be pissed on then watch Palace play'. Urinated on followed by a Palace match, tough day!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I imagine that's mostly a case of 'the computer says...'! But not sure it matters, does it? Unless peeps can't work it out for themselves.
I rather hoped the Grammer Police had been disbanded, bearing in mind that predictive text is overseeing us.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Far too many people use women when they mean an individual woman.

Would of is what really grates with me, though.

Oh, and we're instead of we'll.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There seems to be confusion, or lack of knowledge, of some words and witch/which is correct.

There/their/they're are of course the common examples, but recently I have noticed people using mute instead of moot quite a lot.

I'm sure there are many other examples.
Have you got any pacific examples ? ???

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Towing the line instead of the correct toeing the line.
Loose a game, rather than lose a game.
Discusting instead of disgusting.
There and their seem to be interchangeable, and in the wrong context.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here