Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train tickets

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Apologies for the dull question.

I'm off to Liverpool next week and have purchased an advance ticket from Shoreham. Given the near certainty that SASTA will screw up my journey and I'll miss my connection north from London, can anyone tell me if Virgin will honour my ticket on a later train please?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apologies for the dull question.

I'm off to Liverpool next week and have purchased an advance ticket from Shoreham. Given the near certainty that SASTA will screw up my journey and I'll miss my connection north from London, can anyone tell me if Virgin will honour my ticket on a later train please?

If you have purchased a through ticket from Shoreham to Liverpool via London, then yes they will do.

The problems arise if you have have bought two tickets, i.e. Shoreham to London, and a seperate one London to Liverpool.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would guess he purchased separate tickets as its half the cost than purchasing all through Southern, therefore you are reliant on a decent guard on the Virgin train.

I wonder what would happen on a Southern train if you got an earlier one to help reduce the risk of the one you are book on not running.

There are going to be loads of issues for us bhafc fans traveling to away games soon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have split the tickets and on booked trains you have no protection. Virgin are pretty bolshy so wouldn't expect sympathy. I've started booking complete journey tickets for work travel, it's been commented on the price increase but given nearly every trip I've made has meant delays it is worth it

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Actually (and rarely) this worked out okay as a single booking, which is fortuitous. Can I just jump on any train or do i need it sanctioned?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Actually (and rarely) this worked out okay as a single booking, which is fortuitous. Can I just jump on any train or do i need it sanctioned?

To be sure your ticket will be accepted on the later train to Liverpool you should get it endorsed by the ticket office at Euston before boarding, although queues may make you even later. I had to do that at St Pancras on a journey from Chichester to Leicester a while back, before the East Midlands Trains people would let us on the platforms. I don't think Virgin use ticket barriers on their platforms at Euston, but that's still the official way of making sure your ticket onward will be honoured.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be sure your ticket will be accepted on the later train to Liverpool you should get it endorsed by the ticket office at Euston before boarding, although queues may make you even later. I had to do that at St Pancras on a journey from Chichester to Leicester a while back, before the East Midlands Trains people would let us on the platforms. I don't think Virgin use ticket barriers on their platforms at Euston, but that's still the official way of making sure your ticket onward will be honoured.

No automatic barriers but the gate was closed and guards did a manual check before you were let on the platform on Friday when we travelled Virgin to Birmingham.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If the southern trains are significantly delayed they will know and allow you to catch the later train. You should get it sorted at the ticket office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

If it is a through booking , i.e. Shoreham to Liverpool the SASTA part Shoreham to Victoria is not compulsory you travel on a booked train so I'd give yourself extra lee way on that journey and catch an earlier one than chance missing the Euston connection

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If the southern trains are significantly delayed they will know and allow you to catch the later train. You should get it sorted at the ticket office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

train-delays-guide-imgv2.jpg

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If it is a through booking , i.e. Shoreham to Liverpool the SASTA part Shoreham to Victoria is not compulsory you travel on a booked train so I'd give yourself extra lee way on that journey and catch an earlier one than chance missing the Euston connection

Thanks Ernest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here