Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A DIFFERENT Poll - Will we be a member of the EU on 31st December 2018?

Will we be a member of the EU come December 31st 2018?

• Yes, you idiot - no one wants to pull the trigger, no way that Brexit will happen.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • No, you idiot - the people have spoken. Brexit is happening.

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A lot of talk, for all sorts of reasons, that Brexit may not happen now. This isn't a thread for sore-loserism, or 2nd-referendumitis.

Simple question; at this point in time, do you believe we will be a member of the EU come December 31st, 2018?

BOLLOCKS CAN'T ADD A POLL MODS DELETE OR ADD A POLL THANKS GREAT.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Simple really. This isn't a thread moaning about the result, nor about having a 2nd referendum (I don't think we should).

There is a lot of noise in the press about the reasons why Brexit might not happen. So, simple question;

Will we be a member of the EU come December 31st 2018?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
More concerned about being in the Premier League on that date.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think we will by that date but by 31 December 2019. Reckon it will take longer to disentangle ourselves than is generally reckoned

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Strongly suspect that the democratic Will Of The British People will be brushed aside by means of some technical fudge or other, by those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have a feeling that the new Prime Minister will call a general election before hitting the Brexit button. At least one of the parties will then campaign on a 'not leaving' or 'second referendum' ticket.

December 2018, no chance of us having left by then.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe we should treat this like a marriage in trouble and have a trial separation to enable us to see if it is better apart.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Strongly suspect that the democratic Will Of The British People will be brushed aside by means of some technical fudge or other, by those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Best hope is a re-run of the referendum. Better to eat humble pie in the face of Europe than eat no pie at all.

MP's could vote it down in parliament but that would probably be a bedlam on the streets.

If we do Brexit at least Europe won't implode, other countries will look at us and thank us for carry out our social experiment and say thanks Britain but no thanks

D

Deleted member 2719

Maybe we should treat this like a marriage in trouble and have a trial separation to enable us to see if it is better apart.

I have never known trial separations to work, cos one party is normally winding into a third party.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Today was the first day of that seperation, we went to bookies but didn't win anything

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah I think we're seeing elements of the trial separation right now.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Like others I suspect that it won't be done by 31/12/18. New PM not in place until October and unlikely to have time to draw up and have passed a bill to enact Article 50 by the Xmas break, even if the new cabinet was balls-out for Brexit. Even then the sensible approach would be to take more time to think it all through before locking us into a process.
Let's be clear that the government has a mandate to enact Article 50, until they actually take that through parliament then the EU can whistle.....our plan to exit is not formalised and is only a 90-plus % probability / risk.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The political and social elite has no interest in listening to the voice of the people and will make us keep voting until we come up with the right result (for them). There is too much vested interest in the European Social Experiment for them to simply let it happen. That way all the failed ex-politicians will still have the prospect of a lucrative non-job in Brussels.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm concerned that there are too many polls here.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The political and social elite has no interest in listening to the voice of the people and will make us keep voting until we come up with the right result (for them). There is too much vested interest in the European Social Experiment for them to simply let it happen. That way all the failed ex-politicians will still have the prospect of a lucrative non-job in Brussels.
I don't believe that, but I do believe:-
- we are under no obligation to minimise the EU's risk and uncertainty by expediting notice of exit (and thus increasing our own risk of getting a shoddy deal in a hurried departure)
- if we hold our ground the pressure on the mandarins to truly reform the EU will lead to some meaningful improvements. If these are big enough and early enough, even a pro-Brexit cabinet would have to seriously consider calling a new referendum on the basis that the EU is a materially different proposition to the one we rejected (narrowly) last week, and the people should have a chance to say whether the reforms have gone far enough for us to be more comfortable with remaining

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here