Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi retires from International football

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC

Lionel Messi announced his retirement from international duty after missing in a penalty shootout as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years.

"It's not meant for me. For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion," the 29-year-old said after defeat by Chile at the Copa America.

With Barcelona, Messi has won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues.

But his only major international honour is 2008 Olympic gold.

Argentina were beaten 1-0 in the 2014 World Cup final by Germany before two Copa America final defeats by Chile on penalties. Messi was also on the losing side against Brazil in the 2007 Copa America final.

"It's been four finals, I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over," he added.

"I think this is best for everyone. First of all for me, and then for everyone. I think there's a lot of people who want this, who obviously are not satisfied, as we are not satisfied reaching a final and not winning it.

"It's very hard, but the decision is taken. Now I will not try more and there will be no going back."

Messi had scored five times at the tournament, including a superb free-kick in the semi-final against hosts the USA to become his country's record scorer with 55 goals.

Argentina and Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero said he hoped Messi would "reflect" on his decision and reconsider, adding: "I think he spoke while he was heated, because a beautiful opportunity escaped us. I can't imagine a national team without Messi."

Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero described the mood in the Argentina dressing room as "the worst I've ever been in", and was quoted by South American media as saying: "There are several players who are evaluating not continuing with the national team."

After Sunday's match finished 0-0 in 120 minutes, Chile won 4-2 on penalties.

Messi's miss was Argentina's first attempt in the shootout and it ballooned over the bar after Romero had denied Chile's Arturo Vidal.

Lucas Biglia also missed from 12 yards, with Chilean substitute Francisco Silva scoring the decisive spot-kick in the final in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Messi made his debut for Argentina in 2005, going on to make 113 appearances.

For Barca he has scored 453 times in 531 games, including a La Liga record 312 goals. He has won the Ballon d'Or award for the world's best player five times.

In 2014 he was named as the best player at the World Cup, with then-Fifa president Sepp Blatter saying he was "a little bit surprised" and Argentina legend Diego Maradona calling the decision "unfair".

Argentina are already six games into their qualification campaign for the 2018 World Cup. They are third in the table, two points behind leaders Uruguay.

The top four teams progress automatically to the finals in Russia, while the team finishing fifth qualifies for a two-legged play-off against the best team from Oceania.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Just about sums up the attitude of the big name players. It's not enough to represent your country any more, seems that he thinks he is better than the whole nation and won't lower himself to play for a team that doesn't win tournaments. Maybe if he had put his penalty away they might have won.

To use a Keegan phrase, honestly, I would love it if at the next World Cup if Argentina win it with Messi sitting on his arse while his ex team mates have a winners medal round their necks

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A few of them contemplating retirement. Having declined Chile will Ulloa get into their squad?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Pretty sure there is more to it than him just being petulant not winning the tournament

Apparently a lot going on with the Argentinian FA that is upsetting a few of the players

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Just about sums up the attitude of the big name players. It's not enough to represent your country any more, seems that he thinks he is better than the whole nation and won't lower himself to play for a team that doesn't win tournaments. Maybe if he had put his penalty away they might have won.

To use a Keegan phrase, honestly, I would love it if at the next World Cup if Argentina win it with Messi sitting on his arse while his ex team mates have a winners medal round their necks

He gets treated like shit by Argentina fans, his family get death threats and the like. I'm surprised he didn't retire sooner tbh. Apparently Aguero, Mascherano, Lavezzi etc, pretty much all of their best players are also retiring in protest at the FA being so corrupt (so corrupt that they may be soon thrown out of FIFA).

[TWEET]747299545155985409[/TWEET]

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
What he means is he doesn't want to play in the World Cup Qualifiers ,but when the World Cup comes round he'll be available.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here