Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Boris suggested this at the beginning of the campaign and presumably he will end up as PM. Didn't the Irish do exactly this a few years ago?

If BJ delays invoking article 50 then there is time to see if 1. The EU does actually embrace reform as is now being muted and 2. What our 'new deal' is going to look like before we actually leave. Another referendum would then be based on facts and the result might be less close (either way) and therefore unite the country.

Is this a likely scenario?

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
There might be some credence if it forced EU reform, as the goalposts would have shifted, but in 3 months seems highly unlikely.
Plus i don't think it will unite the country, the fallout from the nationalists is likely to be pretty ugly.

So, a no from me.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
...and then a third referendum by the losers of that referendum? Don't think so.

So unlikely imo.

You could argue that the terms of our leaving could be put to a referendum, when they have been negotiated. But if they were and the people said no, what would the result be? Would the EU say "OK, here's a better deal" ? In your dreams!

I can't see any way the MP's are going to run the in/out referendum again. Much as I think it is the wrong decision the majority of people don't agree with me and if you live in a democracy you have to accept the majority decision and get on with it.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You could argue that the terms of our leaving could be put to a referendum, when they have been negotiated. But if they were and the people said no, what would the result be? Would the EU say "OK, here's a better deal" ? In your dreams!

I can't see any way the MP's are going to run the in/out referendum again. Much as I think it is the wrong decision the majority of people don't agree with me and if you live in a democracy you have to accept the majority decision and get on with it.

I wasn't so much suggesting the idea as wondering whether BJ might want to do this (as he first muted the idea himself) and what would happen if he did. I think the Irish did much the same and they seem pretty happy as a nation. BJ might try and follow suit?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Would a 2nd referendum be a binary referendum rather than an advisory referendum though?

I think people in this country have had enough of experts and I guess we just need to accept we've shot ourselves in the foot, whether we pulled the trigger or not, and get on with it/embrace the utopia of our future free of the shackles of unaccountable EU bureaucracy that is political correctness gone completely mad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No - it's too late. We had our chance and blew it away.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Once they have negotiated the divorce settlement, they should have another one definitely. Switzerland seem to have one whenever a major change in it's dealings with the EU are in the offing, so the UK should too.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it should have been done on a league basis with the final result being decided after 46 referendums.

I'm note sure what the collective term would be. 'Neverendums' ?

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Perhaps there will be a second referendum. As one British commentator said:

I think the shit has to hit the fan first, people who voted for out need to see job losses and price rises, not abstract stock market falls and a weakening of the pound. Also, leave need to go back on their pre-refferendum promises, which they are making a great job of already. Three months of chaos and then ask again "are you sure"?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Depends really. If the implications of us leaving means that Scotland and N Ireland exit the UK there may be a shift in the Leave to Remain. It may require a new vote on that basis of eventuality.

This is one of the details that should have been discussed before the referendum. Unfortunately Cameron was more interested in using the threat of WWIII than engaging with real consequences. As it stands two countries, Wales and England voted leave, and two countries, Scotland and N Ireland voted to remain.

If leave leads to the breakup of the UK this will also be the end of Great Britain and being British. What is Scotland and N Ireland going to do? And will this cause renewed tension between the protestant and catholic groups?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
To late we need to pull together unfortunately the best man to rescue us is going in September.
Well we are all in it together now thank you brexit

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Personally I don't see another referendum. Not sure how that would help, not if the question and the EU "deal" was the same.

The Tories are rudderless, split between Remain and Brexit and in possession of a tiny majority at best. For discussion - maybe Boris should form a Brexit Party and ask HRH to dissolve Partliament and have a General Election. At the end of which, he may have a mandate to exit.

Pros (if he wins a majority) - mandate is clear. Both a direct referendum and an Election would have endorsed an Exit.

Cons - he may well not win an Election on a Conservative/Brexit ticket. Huge angst for those that voted Brexit.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Once they have negotiated the divorce settlement, they should have another one definitely. Switzerland seem to have one whenever a major change in it's dealings with the EU are in the offing, so the UK should too.

Their last one they voted to end free movement.
Hasnt been implemented yet because the EU said we dont like that outcome.(ie screw your referendum)

We have voted to leave after camerons negotiations and the great new deal he said he had negotiated
best make the most of it and plough ahead,no need for more referendums on the outcomes of further negotiations.....where would it end?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This whole giant hole we've dug for ourselves is completely uncharted, unprecedented territory. Brexit is not going to be plain sailing. Anything could happen until Article 50 is invoked.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
If we had a general election, with one party making it absolutely clear that they will stay in the EU above all else and won surely that would count? They could say that it was Cameron's choice to go for a referendum and now the people had voted against it due to an election result. At least the people who voted leave and realised the complete and utter stupidity of their actions would be able to save face.
It would have to be done quickly but perhaps the reasoning behind Cameron's decision to step down so quickly was in order to try and force an election?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If we had a general election, with one party making it absolutely clear that they will stay in the EU above all else and won surely that would count? They could say that it was Cameron's choice to go for a referendum and now the people had voted against it due to an election result. At least the people who voted leave and realised the complete and utter stupidity of their actions would be able to save face.
It would have to be done quickly but perhaps the reasoning behind Cameron's decision to step down so quickly was in order to try and force an election?

quote: " At least the people who voted leave and realised the complete and utter stupidity" and there we have it a stupid comment about over 51% of the people that are perceived as stupid........you've got to laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here