Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody foreigners

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Does the crashing pound now mean we are going to see an influx of foreigners, with all their dirty habits, strange lingo, and queue jumping coming to our beloved islands this summer for cheap holidays? Well, that backfired then..

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Does the crashing pound now mean we are going to see an influx of foreigners, with all their dirty habits, strange lingo, and queue jumping coming to our beloved islands this summer for cheap holidays? Well, that backfired then..

Isn't it about time the remainers dropped this pathetic rhetoric labelling almost 17.5m people racist

If you think this is solely the reason so many people voted to leave you need to have a word with yourself

Democracy has spoken whether you like the outcome or not

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Yes, I arrived last Monday to get ahead of the queue. Weather is as shit as the food, don't see why so many people want to come here :lolol:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Isn't it about time the remainers dropped this pathetic rhetoric labelling almost 17.5m people racist

If you think this is solely the reason so many people voted to leave you need to have a word with yourself

I didn't. However, it would be naive not to concede that a frighteningly significant proportion of those who did vote out held very xenophobic views. I've met these people. Am I really the only one?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I didn't. However, it would be naive not to concede that a frighteningly significant proportion of those who did vote out held very xenophobic views. I've met these people. Am I really the only one?

There are some of course but not in the number you would like to believe. I have met an equally high number of leavers who are very normal people who did not vote to leave based on 'bloody foreigners'

I know that does not fit with your or what appears to be a lot of remainers rather patronising and stereotypical view of a leave voter.

There will of been all types of people voting young, old, black, white, homophobic, racist, different religions and from all of that mix of people the country voted to leave.

You don't always get what you want when voting it is called democracy some you win some you lose. For example I did not vote for the Conservative party that pledged to deliver this referendum and I felt it was too big a decision for the public but others voted for that manifesto and here we are.

Perhaps rather than bitching about the people who took a different viewpoint than you start thinking about how this country pulls together to make the best of this decision

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
FDALtmQ.gif

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a trade union activist campaigning for a remain vote I did come across a large amount of what I would regard as xenophobic opinion amongst voters, but to be honest with you the predominant issue was that of sovereignty and decision making autonomy, which is rather ironic considering that the majority of voters whether they be for remain or leave, expressed a deep mistrust and lack of faith in our politicians. Also rather surprisingly the vast majority of voters who were from first or second generation immigrant families expressed a desire to leave the EU and seemed to have more faith British politics.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This wasn't democracy regardless of the outcome. It was Britain's Got Talent, X-Factor, The Apprentice freak show of sales, spin and mistruths.

As yesterday proved, no one on the Leave side has a definite plan of what to do next. Boris is fumbling around talking about taking our time, not rushing things - yeah, because no one actually has a bloody plan of what will happen, what we actually want out of this deal.

A huge swathe of the electorate has voted Leave on the back of controlled immigration. How is it democratic if we renegotiate a trade deal with the EU that retains free movement exactly as we had before? You will have 48% of remain, and however many Leave voters asking, what the hell, we voted for controlled immigration, we've got the same as before only we've had to take a hit on the economy, the pound, and get a worse deal.

Democracy would have entailed knowing what we were voting for once we were out. The Leave campaign should have been fought on the TRUTH that immigration will remain the same. The TRUTH that the £350m or whatever won't be going to the NHS.

I agree many leaving won't have voted for those reasons, they're not racist, they believe in the UK standing on its own, I don't dispute that or their intelligence, but many did. Many have voted for a lie. And I would hazard a guess more than 1m voted for controlled immigration as a policy alone, and it's a policy they aren't going to get. That isn't democracy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This wasn't democracy regardless of the outcome. It was Britain's Got Talent, X-Factor, The Apprentice freak show of sales, spin and mistruths.

As yesterday proved, no one on the Leave side has a definite plan of what to do next. Boris is fumbling around talking about taking our time, not rushing things - yeah, because no one actually has a bloody plan of what will happen, what we actually want out of this deal.

A huge swathe of the electorate has voted Leave on the back of controlled immigration. How is it democratic if we renegotiate a trade deal with the EU that retains free movement exactly as we had before? You will have 48% of remain, and however many Leave voters asking, what the hell, we voted for controlled immigration, we've got the same as before only we've had to take a hit on the economy, the pound, and get a worse deal.

Democracy would have entailed knowing what we were voting for once we were out. The Leave campaign should have been fought on the TRUTH that immigration will remain the same. The TRUTH that the £350m or whatever won't be going to the NHS.

I agree many leaving won't have voted for those reasons, they're not racist, they believe in the UK standing on its own, I don't dispute that or their intelligence, but many did. Many have voted for a lie. And I would hazard a guess more than 1m voted for controlled immigration as a policy alone, and it's a policy they aren't going to get. That isn't democracy.

The quality of argument on both sides was truly appalling and the remain campaign have been spectacularly poor in this regard choosing to focus on fear rather than pushing the leave camp for their full exit strategy. Whatever the quality of the argument the democratic process has been completed with all sides having a chance to put forward their arguments and all people being given the opportunity to vote. As such this was a democratic process

On the point about false claims there is no way the government will be able to force through a mandate that is completely opposite to the basis of what was campaigned and voted for. In this scenario there would be uproar from both sides of the argument which would result in a further referendum to vote on any revised proposal.

I actually think that is why there is all the posturing about triggering the exit process as Boris and co have been told to put up or shut up.

I think you are right that the claims made by the key figures in the leave campaign now need backing up and may prove to be completely unachievable but if they do as above this would be too much of a concession to have support from MPs or the general public. There will now be real unavoidable pressure to come up with a tangible exit plan (and yes this should have been available in the process but people still voted without this certainty)

Whatever happens we are now where we are and have to press on whatever the outcome.

Nothing so far has changed my original stance that this referendum should never have happened in the first place

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If they'd dropped it before the vote, they may have won. People who aren't racist don't like being called racist. Who knew :rolleyes:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Mong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't. However, it would be naive not to concede that a frighteningly significant proportion of those who did vote out held very xenophobic views.
They had those views long before we had a referendum. Is it also frightening that people with those views have voted for Labour governments of the past? Is it frightening that murderers and rapist have voted for our governments? :rolleyes:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Just in case you haven't noticed . The £ has been falling in value against the Dollar and Euro for some time . :)

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

I've decided to make no comment on these threads. The Remain camp lost something they thought they would win, and are now licking their wounds. Best left alone for a while.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

What all of them?My,you have been busy!That must be why you've posted so little :lolol::lolol::lolol:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Racist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here