Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre season signings 2016-17 season ** Official Thread **

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Steve Sidwell - Free Transfer
Ben Hall - Undisclosed

We can add to the list as and when further signings are made.

6 weeks to go..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
3 weeks until Crawley friendly.

- Strikers today are Hemed, Baldock, O'Grady and Elvis.

- Hunemeier will miss start of the season.

It seems a central defender and a striker are the most pressing signings.

Less urgent for season start are another striker, midfielder and left back.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Strikers today are Hemed, Baldock, O'Grady and Elvis.

Hunemeier will miss start of the season.

Yep. Strikers are top of my list. We need to replace (not like for like) Bobby and Wilson.

Then we need to add the 4th central defender, midfielder(s) (depends on who we let go / sell) and a left back.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Saw something on fb, suggesting James Wilson may be returning on a permanent deal, probably bollox, I would imagine Hughton would be fairly disappointed with his overall contribution last season.

Having said that, if we know there was a reason for that and we are sure he's over it and can now run for 90 minutes, then I'm sure there's a very good player in there somewhere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Saw something on fb, suggesting James Wilson may be returning on a permanent deal, probably bollox, I would imagine Hughton would be fairly disappointed with his overall contribution last season.

Having said that, if we know there was a reason for that and we are sure he's over it and can now run for 90 minutes, then I'm sure there's a very good player in there somewhere.
I heard that at the end of last season, also Ashley Barnes, and Leo so probably all fantasy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
While we're on Leo, what about this scenario:

He's highly unlikely to want to leave Leicester this summer, with the prospect of Champions League football, and playing for the Champions. Leicester are also likely to buy more players, including strikers so, in all likelihood, he'll play less football. Now if Leicester get dumped out of the Champions League at the group stage, which is by no means unlikely, they're going to be left with a surfeit of players, with Leo high on the list for earliest exit in the January transfer window.
We need two strikers, does this mean that we buy one, and get another for a(n initial) half season loan, with the hope of re-signing Leo in January?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

He's highly unlikely to want to leave Leicester this summer, with the prospect of Champions League football, and playing for the Champions. Leicester are also likely to buy more players, including strikers so, in all likelihood, he'll play less football. Now if Leicester get dumped out of the Champions League at the group stage, which is by no means unlikely, they're going to be left with a surfeit of players, with Leo high on the list for earliest exit in the January transfer window.
We need two strikers, does this mean that we buy one, and get another for a(n initial) half season loan, with the hope of re-signing Leo in January?
Interesting idea. I guess we'll see if one of the two strikers we should get is a loan.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

As much as l would love to agree, I really would forget about Leo for now. Yes ok, so he may well be surplus to requirements at Leicester by January, but there are many other Premier League teams who would want him too.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

I am sorry but Leicester are not going to sell him for less than they paid us and there is no way we are paying Leicester £12m or more for Leo. He really isn't that good.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I'd be very happy with James Wilson for the whole of 2016/17.
As long as our medical staff could find and sort out that bug he had at Christmas. If they could, I'm sure he would contribute 10+ goals in the coming season!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am sorry but Leicester are not going to sell him for less than they paid us and there is no way we are paying Leicester £12m or more for Leo. He really isn't that good.

Leicester will be in a very different situation by January. They're going to spend a lot of money this transfer window, they've just committed to paying Vardy £100,000+ a week for four years, yet by January, there's every possibility they will be mid-table in the PL and out of the CL. They'll need to offload by then.
But you're right, we won't play £12m for Leo, and at 29/30, he won't be worth it for us. That said, have a look at the Euros and tell me just how many of the centre forwards are better than him.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

- Strikers today are Hemed, Baldock, O'Grady and Elvis.

- Hunemeier will miss start of the season.

Why would we want another left back? We already have 2 of the best in the division - rossenior and bong!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why would we want another left back? We already have 2 of the best in the division - rossenior and bong!!
As good a left back as Rosenior is, he is actually a better right back !

We need 2 right backs - Bruno, Rosenior and 2 left backs - Bong and ???

It would be foolish to just have 3 fullbacks, even if Rosenior can play both sides.

Last edited:

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

It would be foolish to just have 3 fullbacks, even if Rosenior can play both sides.

Fair point. Although, as he is very good both sides we could look for either a right or left back

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fair point. Although, as he is very good both sides we could look for either a right or left back
I agree with you, we could get a right back instead if there is a better option available on the right.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Leicester will be in a very different situation by January. They're going to spend a lot of money this transfer window, they've just committed to paying Vardy £100,000+ a week for four years, yet by January, there's every possibility they will be mid-table in the PL and out of the CL. They'll need to offload by then.
But you're right, we won't play £12m for Leo, and at 29/30, he won't be worth it for us. That said, have a look at the Euros and tell me just how many of the centre forwards are better than him.

With the size of the new TV deal, they really won't need to offload.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Agree with this. Bruno was fantastic last season but I'd like to see Rosenior and Bong as our two first choice full backs this season with Bruno and a new left back as back up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can't all the young lads on here start a social media campaign for Rashford to get more experience at Championship level-I would start it myself,but us old gits know nothing about Facebook,Twitter,etc,apparently:dunce:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here