Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU FOOTBALL related?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Can we now have a quota on the number of overseas players clubs are allowed to sign which would help the youth setup in this country?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would assume at some point all players outside of uk will need a visa/ work permit. Could make them harder to sign.

In the short term player fees outside UK will be higher due to sterling collapse.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Can we now have a quota on the number of overseas players clubs are allowed to sign which would help the youth setup in this country?

I'm not sure what if any the EU exit will give to our decision making by the FA?

One thing I'd love to see (viable or not in the future) is the money to properly trickle down to our grass roots, the u6 > age groups, park football, proper facilities and equipment for the kids. Until we invest in the youngest will we see a benefit on our national side,

Sad are the times when kids have to struggle to get a kit to play in, when multimillion pound players could do so with their loose change.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Since the English league ended its British player rule in 96 we have failed to qualify for 1 major tournament 1 2008

In the previous 20 years before the rule change we failed to qualify for four finals I believe.

The standard of England players has improved since we removed the orginal quota.

It's a myth foreigners have destroyed our national team

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not sure what if any the EU exit will give to our decision making by the FA?

One thing I'd love to see (viable or not in the future) is the money to properly trickle down to our grass roots, the u6 > age groups, park football, proper facilities and equipment for the kids. Until we invest in the youngest will we see a benefit on our national side,

Sad are the times when kids have to struggle to get a kit to play in, when multimillion pound players could do so with their loose change.

I agree -

However if we restrict the "flair" players people want to pay to see, where is the money coming from?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So what do we think the impact of the EU exit will have on our beautiful game?

Can anyone see an end to the big spending of the premiership? Or is this one market that will actually not be impacted?

Could there be some changes ahead for the better....?

It will depend on what kind of trading deal the new UK does with the EU.

One thing the EU has said is that if the UK wishes to trade with the EU, it must adhere to its freedom of movement rules (in the way Norway and Switzerland have to). This would mean in theory, that EU players will be free - largely as they can now - to come here and play.

So, for the next two years, there will be no change. But after that, it depends if the EU deals are sorted before Article 50 in invoked.

If it is invoked, and there is no treaty with the EU by the time the two years are up, the UK would theoretically be able to arbitrarily decide who comes and who doesn't. Realistically, it could mean similar rules to non-EU players (i.e. need to play in a certain number of international matches etc.) And that could make player acquistion very tricky.

... is how I read it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

So would I. But that has nothing to do with the EU.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
No, I agree.

But I guess it is linked inadvertently to the global companies (Sky) who may be impacted?

Everything connects. Do you think ongoing Kingmaker-in-Absentia Rupert Murdoch is going to let any British politician nause up his beloved Premier League?

The grassroots bit is where the Premier League comes in. They have promised over the years to donate 5% of their (mostly TV) income to grassroots projects; a promise they have consistently reneged on. Sky themselves won't donate the money - there's nothing in it for them. The Premier League on the other hand, can't wash its hands so easily.

There is a small possibility the new freedom of labour movement rules may impact on the top players coming to England, but like I say, can you imagine Murdoch letting that happen?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I wonder if Watford are cacking it, aren't they linked to Granada and Udinese, and regularly move players between the clubs on loan? Don't Chelsea and Manchester United have links with Belgian clubs? If movement restrictions are put into place these links will be dead.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Since the English league ended its British player rule in 96 we have failed to qualify for 1 major tournament 1 2008

In the previous 20 years before the rule change we failed to qualify for four finals I believe.

The standard of England players has improved since we removed the orginal quota.

It's a myth foreigners have destroyed our national team
No they just made tournaments bigger and brought in Play offs. WC 78 1 team through and we were in a qualifying group with Italy . Euro 84 1 team through again and we flunked v Denmark . 94 and 08 we were just an awful team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No they just made tournaments bigger and brought in Play offs. WC 78 1 team through and we were in a qualifying group with Italy . Euro 84 1 team through again and we flunked v Denmark . 94 and 08 we were just an awful team.

Feel free to correct me - but I think we have won all our qualifying groups since - 08 aside - so it wouldn't have made much difference how many teams qualified - and we have had Germany and Italy in groups.

Russia have a restriction on overseas players and have a very weak league - more English players in a poor league helps no one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here