Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND team versus ICELAND

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
With nothing else to talk about today I thought I'd see what team people think Roy will put out on Monday.

I think he'll go 4-3-3:

Hart

Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Rooney
Alli

Sturridge
Kane
Lallana

I'd be tempted to put Rashford in instead of Kane. We know Iceland will pack the defense similarly to Russia/Wales/Slovakia so we need players who have quick feet and are able to one touch pass or jink past a defender. Rashford has those qualities more than Kane, I think, so would sorely tempt me to play him. Regardless Sturridge, Lallana, Kane(or Rashford), Alli, Rooney, Walker and Rose should have enough about them to break down Iceland.

After 24 hours off from the Euro's I can't wait for them to start again.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yes!

Back to football!

I think Kane is possibly a good option because he is also good at shooting from distance, something we'll probably need to do a lot of against Iceland.

edit:

Starting 11

Hart
Walker - Cahill - Smalling - Rose
Dier - Rooney
Lallana - Alli - Studge
Kane​

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Is that like a 4-3-3? Can't see henderson playing myself, we need more creativity. We will barely have to defend in this game

Just don't see any end-product from either Lallana or Sterling - would much rather see Alli pushed forward. If necessary we will be able to push Rooney further forward. Also, Iceland's game plan will be to break quickly - one thing Henderson does have is his natural defensive ability. I don't think it'll be like the Slovakia game

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No point starting Vardy. Absolutely no space for him to run into, totally nullifies his game.

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Dier
Rooney
Alli

Lallana/Rashford
Kane
Sturridge

Vardy on around 60 mins if no breakthrough.

Gonna have to be VERY patient with this one. You thought Slovakia was backs to the wall? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Iceland's average possession so far in this tournament is 28%!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Surely we can't keep relying on Kane, a man who has been completely ineffective so far.

The U21's did that in the euros a year ago and ended up bottom of their group.

Maybe he's just not a tournament player but he's definitely terribly out of form.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
No point starting Vardy. Absolutely no space for him to run into, totally nullifies his game.

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Dier
Rooney
Alli

Lallana/Rashford
Kane
Sturridge

Vardy on around 60 mins if no breakthrough.

Gonna have to be VERY patient with this one. You thought Slovakia was backs to the wall? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Iceland's average possession so far in this tournament is 28%!

I thought about Rashford for Lallana instead of for Kane but decided against it. I agree with you that Vardy's talents aren't best suited to this game so would rather have one of Kane or Rashford available from the bench. I realise Lallana is probably not going to score the winner but his energy and skills can help create chances for the others. Then if we get to half time goalless bring on Kane/Rashford. If at 70 mins it's still goalless then think about Vardy.

It's easy being a manager....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This will not get a lot of support, but STERLING will be important in this game.

Iceland have defended heroically in this tournament, but they are clumsy. Austria got one penalty, and had a cast-iron second turned down. Get the ball down and run at them with the ball under control. Sterling, Lallana, Rashford are your men - not Kane et al.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This will not get a lot of support, but STERLING will be important in this game.

Iceland have defended heroically in this tournament, but they are clumsy. Austria got one penalty, and had a cast-iron second turned down. Get the ball down and run at them with the ball under control. Sterling, Lallana, Rashford are your men - not Kane et al.

I was considering Rashford (Like I have a say in it) The other 3 have not really clicked yet - why not give him a go

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd play:

Hart
Walker Cahill Smalling Rose
Dier
Alli Lallana
Sturridge Rashford Sterling

We're gonna be camped out in their half.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I know he's been very good in midfield so far but I think, for one game, Rooney will be better off in the front three.

In midfield against Iceland he'll have acres of space to splendidly stroke the ball from one side of the pitch to the other (to no effect) and occasionally thwack a 30 yard shot over the bar.

Get him a bit closer to goal with the ball at his feet and he's better than most at finding a pocket of space to have a shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here