Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How does Brexit affect our European players?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Assume they'll have to apply for work visa?

Will they get them?? Thought you had to be an established international to be nailed on to get one?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nothing will change for 2 1/2 years.

I bet a deal will be done along current lines after that.

Not a time to be paying sterling for players - I hope Tony has already got his Euros.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Reckon this should do....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 421

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They will all be put into concentration camps (Germany c.) until they can be swapped for our pensioners locked up by Rajoy.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
There's a piece up on the BBC website about how it will affect football and has quotes from Greg Dyke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36620201

Says 332 players in the first two tiers in England and the Scottish Premiership football would fail to meet the current standards, assume that would feature a lot of Brighton players given even N'Golo Kante would currently fail. Also says activity this summer will be affected due to changes in cost of players due to the rate the pound is against the euro and that transfers might happen later in the window than normal as everyone waits for things to calm down.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Assume those that voted out will make them scapegoats every time we lose

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is wot I wrote for goal.com on Monday.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2016/06/22/24908602/pogba-will-cost-an-extra-30m-how-the-premier-league-will?ICID=SP_HN_1

IMO there will be no implications short term, and a lot will depend on the final agreement signed between the UK and the EU in terms of freedom of labour movement.

If there is a similar deal to Norway or Switzerland, then no impact.

If an 'Australian' style points based policy, then it depends on how many points are needed to be a footballer migrant.

If the current FA rules in relation to the employment of non-EU players, which are related to FIFA rankings and the % of international matches played, then it will hit the Championship far harder than the Premier League. This is because far fewer players would qualify as they are less likely to be established internationals.

I cannot see any retrospective rules being introduced, so existing players such as Knockaert and Skilak should be unaffected, although we many struggle to sign their like in the future should the FA rules be extended.

It's very GOOD news for mediocre UK players such as COG. Because they will be unaffected by any visa restrictions, then their relative worth will increase, and so the alleged £15,000 a week (according to my sources here in the North) he is being paid by the Albion will be seen as cheap.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
There's a piece up on the BBC website about how it will affect football and has quotes from Greg Dyke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36620201

Says 332 players in the first two tiers in England and the Scottish Premiership football would fail to meet the current standards, assume that would feature a lot of Brighton players given even N'Golo Kante would currently fail. Also says activity this summer will be affected due to changes in cost of players due to the rate the pound is against the euro and that transfers might happen later in the window than normal as everyone waits for things to calm down.

If applying current visa rules to our squad then we would waving goodbye to the following:

Maaenpaa
Bruno
Hunemeier
Bong
Ankergren
Manu
Knockaert
Towell
Lua Lua

It wouldn't affect:

Skalak
Kayal
Hemed

In all likelihood extending contracts and scouting cheaper European bargains will become much harder until the settlement is made clearer. A player like Calderon would no longer be able to carve out a career like he had here. If, however, we follow the Norwegian model of allowing freedom of movement then it won't be a problem, but given the subtext of the referendum I can't see us going down that route at the moment.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If applying current visa rules to our squad then we would waving goodbye to the following:

Maaenpaa
Bruno
Hunemeier
Bong
Ankergren
Manu
Knockaert
Towell
Lua Lua

It wouldn't affect:

Skalak
Kayal
Hemed

In all likelihood extending contracts and scouting cheaper European bargains will become much harder until the settlement is made clearer. A player like Calderon would no longer be able to carve out a career like he had here. If, however, we follow the Norwegian model of allowing freedom of movement then it won't be a problem, but given the subtext of the referendum I can't see us going down that route at the moment.

I'm not sure the remedy to the subtext of the referendum has been thought through.

Aside from the 'Australian points system', no plan has been mentioned regarding future migration. Additionally, there's a good chance the EU might insist on a freedom of labour movement in any treaty between it and the UK.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Johnson and Gove were never really as driven by the immigration issue as Farage.

They'll accept free movement to the EU in an instant if that's what they need to negotiate away.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I mentioned this elsewhere

It would be bad news for the standard of the English national team.

Substandard league filled with championship standard players.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Johnson and Gove were never really as driven by the immigration issue as Farage.

They'll accept free movement to the EU in an instant if that's what they need to negotiate away.

An interesting point.

It seems to me that this immigration issue is the one that's won it for the Leave camp, so could they really just tell all these Little Englanders that actually no they can't get rid of the foreigners, on top of the fact that the mythical sums of money we'd supposedly get back to spend on our own issues, never actually existed?

It has to go down as one of history's biggest cons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here