Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The attack on disability benefits happened.

Well quite. I had never felt so satisfied politically than when Blair first got in and then never so dissalusioned as when he left - not because of his latter achievements I must add. It's all now so grim looking. I have never voted for myself but for the country as a whole with special mind to lower paid and like you say the disadvantaged including the disabled.
After supporting Corbyn on here I now look back on his 7/10 campaigning that saw the labour heartlands vote against his half hearted campaigning.
Feel like I've hit a brick wall now after Thursday vote. Even stayed in last night because I would ended up clumping some bigot in my local when the gloating started. Bad loser ain't I ?
Politics huh.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Umunna pulled out the last race very early as he couldn't take the pressure of the media glare.

Think he's no more than a follower rather than a true leader.

Too many skeletons in Chuckers cupboard, no Blairite Labour candidate would be electable by the membership in the near future, there is no single MP out there at the moment with the appeal that crosses all of the membership

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not as bad as Blair though, lied to the country to take us into an illegal war is a lot worse than not backing something he didn't believe in

Agree that Labour leaders have let the country down too many times. Remember that whenever they leave power the country is on it knees economically, most letting down those it professes to protect. Shameless

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Jarvis is a coal-miner's son, ex-Para Major and left-leaning with his roots firmly in the Labour heartland in the North away from the London-centric Metropolitans. And he's a very clever, practical and affable.

I grew up near to, and like Dan Jarvis. But his dad was a college lecturer, not a coal miner.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Agree that Labour leaders have let the country down too many times. Remember that whenever they leave power the country is on it knees economically, most letting down those it professes to protect. Shameless

Any idea of what happened to the austerity budget ? Especially as our credit rating is down again thanks to Osborne's incompetence, looks like we will need a LABOUR government to clear this mess up

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought you were a Tory Buzzer yet you talk of the worst off in this country. What's happening ?

The attack on disability benefits happened.

Aside from the obvious 'nastiness' of these particular cuts, as with so many other cuts elsewhere, they're short sighted measures that will end up costing the tax payer far more money in the long run.

We're seeing adults with learning disabilities having quite severe budget cuts put upon them that are very likely to lead them into crisis and thereby require much more expensive measures down the line to attempt to put right.

There's an awful lot of fear around within the LD community at the moment, and rightly so given that the cuts are already beginning to bite and are set to get worse. These cuts are very damaging indeed, on all levels.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Maybe they are forming a new party,or gone where they belong.Monster Raving Loony Party.

Been trying to think of the last Labour politician I trusted.It was Roy Jenkins-then he cleared off to play with Doctor Death.Maybe a new SDP is the answer?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Any idea what's happened to Osborne? Haven't heard a peep out of him since Thursday

He's raised his head on Twitter!

screencapture-twitter-com-George_Osborne-14668835141922.png

synavm

May 2, 2013
If anyone replaces Corbyn, it will be Dan Jarvis. He has been preparing himself for a run at the leadership for a little while apparently with mock leadership debates being run at his office. He also rather randomly gave a speech on his vision for Britain. Though, I'd personally prefer Umunna, I think Jarvis is the man that will run and given his history as a paratrooper and the likelihood he would pursue a tougher public stance on immigration, I think he would go down quite well in some of the more Eurosceptic areas of the Labour heartlands.

That being said, I think it's all futile. Corbyn will get on the ballot and win decisively unfortunately. The new centrist party concept is something that sounds interesting to me. Would it work under FPTP, though?

synavm

May 2, 2013
On Umunna's withdrawal last time round, I read a fairly in depth interview about it and the way I read it was that he was totally ill prepared in general. Both Burnham and Kendall had been preparing for and had campaigns ready to go. I think as well, he was preparing for marriage and wasn't prepared for the full force of the media glare. I also reckon there is the tactical element.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
On Umunna's withdrawal last time round, I read a fairly in depth interview about it and the way I read it was that he was totally ill prepared in general. Both Burnham and Kendall had been preparing for and had campaigns ready to go. I think as well, he was preparing for marriage and wasn't prepared for the full force of the media glare. I also reckon there is the tactical element.

Totally unelectable to the Labour heartlands up North

synavm

May 2, 2013
Totally unelectable to the Labour heartlands up North

At this stage I disagree. The Oldham by-election suggests that, though Euroscepticism is rife, UKIP aren't getting anywhere near Labour in the safe seats (yet) and remember in that by-election, the candidate could probably be characterised as a Blairite (for want of a better word). The mandate increased slightly but wasn't too different before the change in leadership.

It's all an irrelevance, though, Labour's membership would never go for Umunna. It'd have to be a Gordon Brown PLP 'chosen one' type scenario.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whoever might replace Corbyn, Umunna is a busted flush after he bottled it last time. no matter what he says or does he will always have that over him, his opponents in and out of the party will say he isnt prepared to take the difficult descision.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
UKIP should vanish now they have got what they wanted!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
whoever might replace Corbyn, Umunna is a busted flush after he bottled it last time. no matter what he says or does he will always have that over him, his opponents in and out of the party will say he isnt prepared to take the difficult descision.

I agree, I think that Portillo's hesitancy cost him, when he looked like having a good chance of being Tory leader. And it probably played in part in David Miliband's defeat as well. It doesn't look good for a politician to prepare for a leadership bid and pull out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here