Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Now with a fixed term parliament,just how does that work ? As it stands http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/current-state-of-the-parties/

Indeed. Actually I think May would love to call a General Election now. She's still in her honeymoon period, the economy, despite the dire predictions, hasn't collapsed*, and outside of his own powerbases Corbyn is seen as too left-wing to be a good PM and Labour is seen as a mess. The Fixed Term Parliaments Act was designed precisely to stop this kind of short-term political exploitation. Corbyn is better off waiting and seeing if things pick up for him, i.e. things get worse for the country.

* To pacify Remainers I'll say hasn't collapsed YET. I'm sure they're all anxiously waiting for it to happen and scared in case it doesn't.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Controversial this but . . . . Corbyn has more housewife and white van appeal than Maggie May . . . .its all about body language. Corby has seduced several signoritas, and has the X factor in spades compared with dreary harridan head girl gone shrivelled, Maggie. Bring Back Grammar Schools in a hesitant Brexit, versus Increase the Minimum Wage. Its a no brainer. Corby wins. **** the economy.Prepare for Power. Election next week. Bring it ON!!!!

And then I woke up from my afternoon nap.

Nice one, Harry.
Had you taken a wee dram with your lunch? :smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
After forcing us into the referendum, there is simply no way the Tories will win the next election.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, under what circumstances could there be a general election ahead of 2020?

There must be some possibility, otherwise Corbyn wouldn't stand up in front of his party and say that Labour needed to make sure they were prepared.

Mr Corbyn said there was “every chance” that the prime minister would “cut and run … So I put our party on notice today: Labour is preparing for a general election in 2017.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Eh? You seem to forget the majority voted 'LEAVE'.

The majority needed for the referendum and the majority needed on a multi party GE are two very different things. The vote margin on the EU referendum would not have got a win in a GE.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The majority needed for the referendum and the majority needed on a multi party GE are two very different things. The vote margin on the EU referendum would not have got a win in a GE.

FACT. It is entirely possible that GE won with less votes than opposition..whereas referendum has to be won with majority!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So, under what circumstances could there be a general election ahead of 2020?

There must be some possibility, otherwise Corbyn wouldn't stand up in front of his party and say that Labour needed to make sure they were prepared.

Mr Corbyn said there was “every chance” that the prime minister would “cut and run … So I put our party on notice today: Labour is preparing for a general election in 2017.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-term_Parliaments_Act_2011

"Section 2 of the Act also provides for two ways in which a general election can be held before the end of this five-year period:

In either of these two cases, the Monarch (on the recommendation of the prime minister) appoints the date of the new election by proclamation. Parliament is then dissolved 25 working days before that date."

However... it is extremely unlikely. For a start the Tories are busy gerrymandering the parliamentary constituency boundaries... and that isn't going to be finished until 2018 at the earliest!

It is clearly a rather desperate diversionary tactic by the hapless Corbyn to try put an end to their interminable navel-gazing and create some semblance of common purpose among the fragmented lefties who are in charge now and the 'New Labour' majority in the PLP.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
FACT. It is entirely possible that GE won with less votes than opposition..whereas referendum has to be won with majority!!!

I'm sorry, and I apologise if it's me, but I can't make sense of that post.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I'm sorry, and I apologise if it's me, but I can't make sense of that post.

Fairly simple....350 conservative MP`s elected with majority of one......300 labour MP`s elected with 1000 majority....Labour lose election with nearly three hundred thousand more votes than conservatives.
Whereas referendum all votes added and majority wins.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fairly simple....350 conservative MP`s elected with majority of one......300 labour MP`s elected with 1000 majority....Labour lose election with nearly three million more votes than conservatives.
Whereas referendum all votes added and majority wins.

I see. Thanks.
Anyway, Tories won't win, they forced us into an unwanted referendum.

D

Deleted member 22389

I see. Thanks.
Anyway, Tories won't win, they forced us into an unwanted referendum.

And neither will Labour, you seem forget UKIP are still around who will split the vote.
Just because people voted Leave doesn't automatically mean they are going to vote for Labour, you see the longer Corbyn keeps going on about Free movement, open borders and the EU, and the longer people from his party keep insulting people they are not going anywhere, and good riddance too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am aware of that, but Corbyn isn't going to start being electable and he is there to stay. It is rare, though, for the party of government to increase their majority in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will take the biggest of muck ups for the Tories not to increase their majority.

I think they could call an election but some people would be surprised at the size of the majority. I think it would increase but not by much. Labour are a shoo-in in many constituents in their heartlands, and a lot of angry middle-England voters who punished the Lib Dems at the last election for selling too many principles down the river will return to them in droves after that piggy-faced Etonian gambled the economic stability of this country in a feeble attempt to stay in power. Lots of us want the Lib Dems back fighting for a chance to rubber stamp the Brexit deal.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I think they could call an election but some people would be surprised at the size of the majority. I think it would increase but not by much. Labour are a shoo-in in many constituents in their heartlands, and a lot of angry middle-England voters who punished the Lib Dems at the last election for selling too many principles down the river will return to them in droves after that piggy-faced Etonian gambled the economic stability of this country in a feeble attempt to stay in power. Lots of us want the Lib Dems back fighting for a chance to rubber stamp the Brexit deal.

This is it exactly. Show me the Conservative gains and I might believe this landslide. The lib dems may very well take several seats off the conservatives, which had been solid lib dem seats before 2015. If there was a general election tomorrow I think the result would be pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You've said that twice now... but seem to be forgetting the MAJORITY voted to LEAVE. How is that 'unwanted'?

The majority of leave voters were very suggestable, they fell for the whole thing. The £350m, immigration, overpaying for little return. Of course, they all claim now to not have believed a word of it but they did
. If Farage and the Tories tell them they want a referendum they will buy it.

When the Tories mess up Brexit (they will mess it up, no party could get a good outcome from Brexit, we're screwed) and the man on the street that voted Leave realise he's been sold down the river and has his paddle robbed from him, they'll get rid of the Tories lickety split.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here