Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What leader wants a deputy who undermines you at every turn?

Watson has had no mandate for torpedoing Labour policy at every turn. How can he be trusted?

People need to step back a bit, take the Corbyn/Labour specs off and realise you simply cannot have a no.2 campaigning on their own platform. No other party would tolerate this.

Well the role of deputy is as a result of an election, not because JC chose him and as another poster alluded to, TW is more closely in tune with the position of the labour membership when it comes to Brexit.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Labour policy is decided by part members at the conference. If Corbyn follows this policy and Watson undermined him, it's Watson deviating from the members wishes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The real question is, do Labour want to get into Government or do they just want to continue to be a far left dinosaur / student debating forum full of idealogues?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Labour policy is decided by part members at the conference. If Corbyn follows this policy and Watson undermined him, it's Watson deviating from the members wishes.

why would the Momentum faction seek to remove him through a backdoor mechanism of removing the post, rather than have the membership hold an election of the post?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well the role of deputy is as a result of an election, not because JC chose him and as another poster alluded to, TW is more closely in tune with the position of the labour membership when it comes to Brexit.

Yes of course and it allows a basis of alternative views. I agree with much of what TW says, but not the way he does it. Prescott didn’t agree with TB all the time, but he never undermined him. With TW we have JC saying one thing on interview in the morning, and TW saying something contradictory in the afternoon - he can’t do that. He needs to debate policy across the shadow cabinet table, not through random press briefings he gives. Starmer and others while clearly thinking along similar lines to TW, don’t go as far as contradicting the leader publicly. It’s not the basis for effective governance. There is way to fight your corner in a political party, but through the press is not one of them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yes of course and it allows a basis of alternative views. I agree with much of what TW says, but not the way he does it. Prescott didn’t agree with TB all the time, but he never undermined him.

I agree he gave the green light to TB for the Amex

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Through choice, Watson does not attend most Shadow Cabinet meetings.

He’s not doing the job he’s been elected to do. He should walk, but has his own agenda to force on the party.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Through choice, Watson does not attend most Shadow Cabinet meetings.

He’s not doing the job he’s been elected to do. He should walk, but has his own agenda to force on the party.

Given that Corbyn was swept into power by thousands of activists joining the Labour Party, I can't help feeling that TW might actually speak for the majority of Labour supporters, who have had Corbynism forced on them!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Given that Corbyn was swept into power by thousands of activists joining the Labour Party, I can't help feeling that TW might actually speak for the majority of Labour supporters, who have had Corbynism forced on them!

You know 14m voted for Corbyn at the last election. They weren’t all Labour activists.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think Jezza should be Leader for life.The older he gets,the smaller his responsibilities become.Perfick

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes of course and it allows a basis of alternative views. I agree with much of what TW says, but not the way he does it. Prescott didn’t agree with TB all the time, but he never undermined him. With TW we have JC saying one thing on interview in the morning, and TW saying something contradictory in the afternoon - he can’t do that. He needs to debate policy across the shadow cabinet table, not through random press briefings he gives. Starmer and others while clearly thinking along similar lines to TW, don’t go as far as contradicting the leader publicly. It’s not the basis for effective governance. There is way to fight your corner in a political party, but through the press is not one of them.

a group of shadow ministers constantly contradict party/Corbyn policy on the subject of Brexit. other policy areas dont believe there is much differences. Labour/Corbyn policy to be neutral on the most talked about subject is bizzare policy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This didn't feel 'brexity' enough for the brexit thread, and I'm not sure this deserves it's own thread, this seems the most appropriate thread on the first page to use. Not about Jeremy Corbyn, but his deputy, so...

Someone tweeted this video this morning (and someone in my timeline retweeted it):

[tweet]1175467163655843845[/tweet]

I don't say this because of political affiliation, but doesn't this seem a bit pathetic? I don't know if it's the small numbers, the applause or what, but such reaction for a politician just feels weird. I mean, I think such a reaction for a celebrity would be weird, but I doubt if Beyonce walked into brighton station there'd be a small group "w'hoo"ing and applauding her. It would be cheers and screams and uncontrollable crying. This just comes across as people doing a really bad job of trying to act like fans. Like the nerdy/upper class person trying to a football hooligan, but not wanting to crease their clothes, or whatever "I am going to down this half pint of shandy like real football hoolie" *sips beer delicately to avoid spilling*

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You know 14m voted for Corbyn at the last election. They weren’t all Labour activists.

Yes, that is true, but as is always the case, millions vote for their traditional party of choice, come what may. I strongly suspect that most like the Labour party, not Corbyn. But it was the activists who won him the leadership -that is the point.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This didn't feel 'brexity' enough for the brexit thread, and I'm not sure this deserves it's own thread, this seems the most appropriate thread on the first page to use. Not about Jeremy Corbyn, but his deputy, so...

Someone tweeted this video this morning (and someone in my timeline retweeted it):

[tweet]1175467163655843845[/tweet]

I don't say this because of political affiliation, but doesn't this seem a bit pathetic? I don't know if it's the small numbers, the applause or what, but such reaction for a politician just feels weird. I mean, I think such a reaction for a celebrity would be weird, but I doubt if Beyonce walked into brighton station there'd be a small group "w'hoo"ing and applauding her. It would be cheers and screams and uncontrollable crying. This just comes across as people doing a really bad job of trying to act like fans. Like the nerdy/upper class person trying to a football hooligan, but not wanting to crease their clothes, or whatever "I am going to down this half pint of shandy like real football hoolie" *sips beer delicately to avoid spilling*

Regretfully that will be the mighty Labour Party PR team who would have arranged the fake excitement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting how many middle England voters they have just lost now they are voted to in effect disband private schools( yes I know there is a lot more detail to it)

Bet Diane abbots next parents meeting will be a bit awks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here