Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walton joins Luton on season long loan

bob_monkhouse

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Jun 16, 2014
Liphook
Albion keeper Christian Walton is going out on loan again, this time to Luton Town in League Two where the Seagulls' ex-No.2 and coach Nathan Jones is manager.

The England under-21 will be at Kenilworth Road for the duration of the 2016-17 season.

Walton, Albion's third choice, had spells at Bury and home town club Plymouth Argyle last season.

The 20-year-old's route to the first team is currently blocked by David Stockdale and Niki Maenpaa, who recently agreed a new contract.

Boss Chris Hughton said: "Christian is an excellent young goalkeeper and this move is a great chance for him to go and play senior football under a manager he knows well. It's a move which is a good one for all parties involved.

"Christian wants to play week-in, week-out in order to continue his development, and it’s something he needs at his age, but with the goalkeepers we have at the club it's not something we can offer him in the coming season.

"However, we know Christian has all the attributes to become a top goalkeeper and a season playing under Nathan's watch at Luton will serve him well and help him to continue to progress."

Walton joined Albion from Plymouth in 2013. He made his first team debut under Sami Hyypia in a Capital ‪One Cup tie at White Hart Lane in October 2014 and impressed while deputising for the injured Stockdale in two further games, a 1-1 draw with Blackburn and a 1-0 win over Wigan.

Hughton handed him a start in the final game of the 2014-15 season at Middlesbrough, where he kept a clean sheet in a 0-0 draw, before signing Finnish international Maenpaa to provide experienced competition for Stockdale.

Walton's inactivity cost him his place in Gareth Southgate's England under-21 squad for the Toulon tournament triumph last month.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Let's hope Luton have some decent defenders in front of him, unlike Bury when he was there.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lets hope it works out well for him.Hopefully an Albion future great.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Good move for him, will he be allowed to play in the pre-season game against us???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hope it works out for him. The official line of an injury cutting short his loan to Bury last season is bullshit. He made some mistakes and his confidence appeared shattered but hopefully bringing him back has helped rebuild it and he can show how good he promises to be. He did ok at Plymouth covering for injury and now being with Nathan is surely perfect.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hope it works out for him. The official line of an injury cutting short his loan to Bury last season is bullshit. He made some mistakes and his confidence appeared shattered but hopefully bringing him back has helped rebuild it and he can show how good he promises to be. He did ok at Plymouth covering for injury and now being with Nathan is surely perfect.

Good post, hope you're right. I just wonder whether he will make it in the end at Championship/Premier level, as he is quite fragile mentally. He is very young though, and if you've got people on your back, I'm sure it doesn't help. Self-doubt can creep in etc....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here