Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
After the Conservative party conference and a new leader is appointed, does anyone think there will be a snap election this year, or 2020 as planned?

Surely The Prime Minister of the day who invokes Article 50 needs the mandate of having won a general election?

Will article 50 just not be invoked until 2020?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
After the Conservative party conference and a new leader is appointed, does anyone think there will be a snap election this year, or 2020 as planned?

Surely The Prime Minister of the day who invokes Article 50 needs the mandate of having won a general election?

I wouldn't be surprised if Labour kicked off a Vote of no confidence.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I will be very surprised if we haven't had a General Election by Christmas this year.

Corbyn is being briefed against by some Labour MP's, one has already come out to say he should resign.

SKY:

Angela Smith has become the first Labour MP to openly demand Jeremy Corbyn vacate his position as leader, says Sophy Ridge.

Remember there was no party split on the EU, Labour was overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU - it was just the leadership that was "lukewarm", as Tony Blair just put it.

While plenty of Labour MPs are blaming Mr Corbyn, some have attacked Ed Miliband, saying that his departure immediately after the General Election loss threw the party into turmoil and that he should have stayed to allow a proper transition into a new leadership.

Or, as Chris Bryant put it: "I might go and punch him because he's a t****** and he left the party in the state it's in".

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If we have general election this year or 2020 as planned, before invoking Article 50, is is not beyond the realms of possibility that a second 'advisory' referendum could take place?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I don't see why. The Prime Minister of the day is simply the current leader of the party that won the last General Election. The country voted Conservative, not Cameron.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Personally I think this should be the end of politics as we know it.
How about a pro Europe party and an anti Europe party. No labour, no Tory just a mixture of the ins and outs.
At least the question motivated the great unwashed to get out and vote....
At leat I have a wife with an Italian and Brazilian passport so my escape options are at least open.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If we have general election this year or 2020 as planned, before invoking Article 50, is is not beyond the realms of possibility that a second 'advisory' referendum could take place?

I know I'm fantasising but my dream on a long and cross dog walk this morning was that the centre left wing of the Labour Party joins with the pro-EU wing of the Conservative Party and the remains of the LibDem party to force Cameron to go to the palace after which they combine as a National Alliance to fight a snap election on a 'stop the withdrawal negotiations now' ticket. If they won in a free election there could be no questioning their democratic legitimacy. If the economy carries on tanking for the next six months, who knows, everyone who voted 'In' in the referendum might vote for them, especially if they were led by, say, Chukka and Amber.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Of course not. It will be a motion applied against the Conservatories, by the Opposition.

WHOOOOSH

I bet you voted Remain:)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Who will snap up the UKIP vote?I presume Farage will disband it,now it's an irrelevance!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know I'm fantasising but my dream on a long and cross dog walk this morning was that the centre left wing of the Labour Party joins with the pro-EU wing of the Conservative Party and the remains of the LibDem party to force Cameron to go to the palace after which they combine as a National Alliance to fight a snap election on a 'stop the withdrawal negotiations now' ticket. If they won in a free election there could be no questioning their democratic legitimacy. If the economy carries on tanking for the next six months, who knows, everyone who voted 'In' in the referendum might vote for them, especially if they were led by, say, Chukka and Amber.

You could chuck the SNP into that dream perhaps as well. I've now heard it said that Article 50 may not be invoked until after The German & French elections next year as well. This will all drag on to who knows where though.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My guess is that Boris will be PM, there will be a lurch to Euroscepticism and the right in the Conservative Party, and there will be no early General Election. Article 50 will be submitted around the end of this year. Hope I'm wrong on every single one of these.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Angela Smith has become the first Labour MP to openly demand Jeremy Corbyn vacate his position as leader, says Sophy Ridge.

Remember there was no party split on the EU, Labour was overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU - it was just the leadership that was "lukewarm", as Tony Blair just put it.

Shouldn't that be "Labour MPs were overwhelmingly in favour ..." There are large numbers of people on the left who are hostile to the idea of the EU. In fact, Corbyn himself is probably one of them.

He looked decidedly chipper when interviewed this morning, I reckon he voted Leave

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leaving everything else aside, how the HELL can Corbyn remain as leader of the Labour Party?

They are completely out of touch with their voters. The SNP would clean up in Wales if they had a Welsh franchise, practically all of the North voted against Corbyn's wishes. They need to parachute in an Umunna or a Dan Jarvis and do it sooner rather than later to undercut the Tory rebuild.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think Boris will call one straight away (if he can do that with the new fixed-term law) because he'll remember the mess Gordon Brown got into when the media decided he had no popular mandate to lead.

Other Tories, not so much

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here