Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Osborne

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is on borrowed time. For a long time, I've been of the view that he's the master political operator, in control of the narrative, but the British public obviously profoundly disagree with this assessment.
He's been one of the, if not the, key figure behind the Remain campaign, which has failed quite spectacularly. He'll stay in post as the market turmoil unleashes itself, but I'd be amazed if he's still Chancellor within a fortnight.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A small crumb of comfort for many Remain supporters his time as chancellor is foreshortened and his leadership chances finished.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I suppose the other question is what happens to Cameron. We know that he will go at some time this parliament, but it might transpire to four years earlier than he originally intended.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Outsmarted by Gove and Boris-doesn't deserve to keep his job on that alone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pound at it's lowest level since 1985. Stock market predicted to open 19% lower.
He cannot survive this, surely.

FTSE futures are lower 9%, not 19%.

Jan 30, 2008
Is on borrowed time. For a long time, I've been of the view that he's the master political operator, in control of the narrative, but the British public obviously profoundly disagree with this assessment.
He's been one of the, if not the, key figure behind the Remain campaign, which has failed quite spectacularly. He'll stay in post as the market turmoil unleashes itself, but I'd be amazed if he's still Chancellor within a fortnight.
another BELIEVER OF HIS OWN BULLSHIT:)
regards
DR

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Pound at it's lowest level since 1985. Stock market predicted to open 19% lower.
He cannot survive this, surely.

Market reaction was entirely predictable due to a) uncertainty, which markets loathe and b) spivs searching for a quick buck and promoting exegerated volatility. Short term impact was always going to be significantly adverse, the test is how the UK adjusts to its future and leverages the positives to become more nimble and flexible than it could be as part of the EU behemoth and how it re-invests saved EU contributions for growth and equality.
Gideon has to go, not because of market reaction to the vote (which he cannot control) but because he is hated and mistrusted by the British people. If he'd have been less front of centre in the campaign I believe it would have been a closer result - many people will have voted from the heart and against the establishment view in general, and some specifically to stick one up our beknighted Chancellor and reject his campaign of fear and lies.
Conversely I think Cameron now has to stay for at least 18 months to lead our initial planning and negotiations for exit and attempt a controlled handover. Much though I dislike the man, we have very few credible alternatives to put on a world and European stage....

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Couldn't Gove be a candidate for PM?

God I hope not. May was the bookies favourite last time I looked. And she's played a good long-term game by keeping out of the front line of the debate and has therefore not upset many of her peers.
My preference is for Cameron to stay for continuity reasons (despite my dislike of him as an individual politician). If he goes then a fight between Boris (or someone acting as his proxy - IDS or Gove?) and May probably, with May the likely winner as the King slayer rarely ascends the throne due to having pissed off too many of the old king's mates.

If I had a choice, and it had to be a non-Cameron Tory, I'd probably go for Hague. Decent bloke, intelligent, dignified and internationalist in outlook. Won't happen though.
May is my bet; she's probably the least divisive figure on the Tory front bench (on the issue of Europe at least) and could be broadly acceptable as a compromise between leave and remain camps, at least in the short term.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
God I hope not. May was the bookies favourite last time I looked. And she's played a good long-term game by keeping out of the front line of the debate and has therefore not upset many of her peers.
My preference is for Cameron to stay for continuity reasons (despite my dislike of him as an individual politician). If he goes then a fight between Boris (or someone acting as his proxy - IDS or Gove?) and May probably, with May the likely winner as the King slayer rarely ascends the throne due to having pissed off too many of the old king's mates.

If I had a choice, and it had to be a non-Cameron Tory, I'd probably go for Hague. Decent bloke, intelligent, dignified and internationalist in outlook. Won't happen though.
May is my bet; she's probably the least divisive figure on the Tory front bench (on the issue of Europe at least) and could be broadly acceptable as a compromise between leave and remain camps, at least in the short term.

I think May would have got the gig as Cameron's successor in a REMAIN world - Osborne is too much of a smarmy tw*t to have won the popular vote. However, in a Brexit world I don't see how you can have a leader from the REMAIN camp, it doesn't make sense to all of the Tories in the shires who've just voted LEAVE.

Cameron has said Britain's leader must be committed in taking us out and getting the best deal - I really can't see any other candidate who ticks all the boxes than Boris. Bizarrely, he has the popular touch and if he can get elected mayor of Europhile London whilst being a Eurosceptic, and if he can lead the LEAVE campaign effectively then he's got the track record.

I fancy that he may also gain wider Tory support if he can see off UKIP, and you wonder whether he'll be able to persuade someone like Farage to join his government as Europe Minister to negotiate the terms of extrication from the EU.

Boris as PM with Hammond, May, Gove and Farage as Foreign Sec, Home Sec, Chancellor and EU Negotiator in Chief is, I believe, the nucleus of a Cabinet that could win popular support - especially if Labour continue to implode.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Persuade?

PERSUADE!?

Big laughs

The Tories will find it hard to govern effectively without bringing the Remainers back into the fold and, crucially, winning back some UKIP support. If you want to get legislation passed - and God knows Parliament will have to work overtime to reverse / tweak 43 years of EU legislation - then you'll need a working majority. UKIP had something like 15% at the last GE.

UKIP faces a nice problem today of whether to merge with a Boris-led, LEAVE-backed Tory Party or whether to continue as UKIP in the knowledge 48% of the electorate are unlikely to vote for them any time soon after what's just happened. They could go after disaffected Labour voters but, at their core, they are Tory people and very badly under-funded ones at that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here