Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How quickly can you drink a pint/yard of ale?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can honestly say I've never done one. I've been told the technique is to twist the yard in your hands whilst you drink it. Never tried it though. In my defense I do have a severe gag reflex and just find it impossible to open my throat and let liquid flow down without ejecting most of it back out. Good job I'm straight, I'd be a terrible boyfriend....

The last time I drank a yard of ale (in a pub in Much Wenlock, Shropshire), the memorable statistic wasn't how long it took to drink it, but how long it remained in my stomach. About 10 seconds, if I remember rightly.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I can knock back a pint of lager in under 3 seconds. It's a bit of a party trick.

Never tried a yard of anything though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Haven't done a yard of ale since my teens....... very silly game - you're pretty much guaranteed to get wet :lolol:

I can still do a pint of bitter in 3 seconds when out with my lads (or could last time I tried about three years ago) :thumbsup:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The last time I drank a yard of ale (in a pub in Much Wenlock, Shropshire), the memorable statistic wasn't how long it took to drink it, but how long it remained in my stomach. About 10 seconds, if I remember rightly.

I had a brief moment of cross eyed pride when I managed it in the now defunct Jack the Ripper pub in Manhattan. Soon after it was VOMITORIUM.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I could have a go but, it would only take as long as an MEP can claim 1200 euros for an economy class ticket.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Used to have a bird in the bike club who could do a yard of ale in about 30 seconds...and not spill a drop...I used to be quite good at it back in the day...did 3 one night in a pub that had a promotion on Directors....I was a mess after that....lol...

The one I have not mastered is headstand against the wall and drink a pint.....

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
In the mid-eighties I saw the world record holder attempt to better their own time. She looked about 5 feet tall and very slim, did it in about 7 seconds as I recall.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've done a 2 1/2 pint yard in about 20 seconds. I'm not fast downing a pint but I can do volume. 8 pints of lager in 56 minutes and 14 pints of bitter in 2 hours were my personal records many years ago.
I've also drunk a pint hanging upside down from a wooden beam in a bar in Corfu. There are many who can claim that feat though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did a yard of ale when I was at uni about 12 years ago. I don't think I set any records but I managed to spill far less on me than my mate did. His t-shirt was completely soaked in beer, I'm not sure he actually drunk any of it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
At £4.50 a pint, I try to make mine last about half an hour or 45 minutes in a busy pub watching the football.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A pint of bitter under 10 seconds, easy.

Never tried with Guinness or lager though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I used to drink it in about 12 -15 secs but was suitably put in place when my sister, Barbie at The George in Worthing for anyone who knew her, did it slightly slower than me in about 20 secs but drinking Guinness and she was very slim and petite.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
When I was 17 I saw a bloke do it in under 2 seconds. He said he could. I said bullshit.

He bet me a fiver (a lot of money back then, half a tank of petrol in my Capri Ghia) . Easy money I thought.

He tipped it down his throat as if he just turned the pint glass upside down and tipped it on the floor. I've never seen anything like it before or since. :eek:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
When I was 17 I saw a bloke do it in under 2 seconds. He said he could. I said bullshit.

He bet me a fiver (a lot of money back then, half a tank of petrol in my Capri Ghia) . Easy money I thought.

He tipped it down his throat as if he just turned the pint glass upside down and tipped it on the floor. I've never seen anything like it before or since. :eek:

A pint. not a yard? A yard is either 2 1/2 or 3 pints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here