Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having suffered through England performances

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Where we've struggled against some of the worst teams the World Cup or the Euros can throw at us.

This tournament has been a breath of fresh air for me.

OK, our finishing has been missing but if we can recapture it and get a bit of luck, this tournament could become the most enjoyable for ages.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Where we've struggled against some of the worst teams the World Cup or the Euros can throw at us.

This tournament has been a breath of fresh air for me.

OK, our finishing has been missing but if we can recapture it and get a bit of luck, this tournament could become the most enjoyable for ages.

I agree. Last night was frustrating in that we couldn't find a way through and the team selection was questionable, but at least this group of players are able to pass the ball to each other and their first touch is not abysmal. Far more likable than the last crop too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It cannot get any worse, all we need to do now is hit barn door, which I think we are capable of doing. :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least England look like they really are trying this time - that hasn't always been the case in recent years.

It's a shame there's a general lack of top quality in the squad - their preparation, work rate and concentration is all there but just imagine what might be achievable if there was a Beckham, Shearer and Ferdinand in the side.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with all 4 above comments. We've played really well overall but the finishing and tempo is the thing letting us down. Really enjoyable to watch though.

Also, I'd say the chance Smalling gave Slovakia yesterday was the only real clear cut chance opposition have had against us in all 3 games which is also encouraging right? Perhaps the Russian header, but that was also a very good finish.

A thread like this discussing the positives and negatives instead of throwing your toys out is far better than writing 'England are shit' on twitter (which is also far from the truth, let's be honest, we're not shit, just a work in progress). :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We are probably one of the best footballing sides in the competition but have played against 3 teams that set up as happy to draw against us. Looking forward to the games opening up in the next round.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Teams that have impressed me so far have been Italy, (in 1 game) Belgium (in 1 game), Spain, (faves to win it again IMO) & England.
Russia were far more up for it in their 1st game than they were v Slovakia or Wales, so for anyone to say that Wales beating Russia 3-0 shows how bad we are is not really correct. We beat Wales after all! Slovakia defence had a blinder last night, especially Skirtel.
A lot more to be positive about than negative. It's just Wales topping the group is a little bit sh*t really.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
At least England look like they really are trying this time - that hasn't always been the case in recent years.

It's a shame there's a general lack of top quality in the squad - their preparation, work rate and concentration is all there but just imagine what might be achievable if there was a Beckham, Shearer and Ferdinand in the side.

Now they're not playing any more,they were all crap,anyway-and now really old :D

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still worry about the defensive half of the team. Against a decent team we will probably need to score 3 to go through.

Stumpy Tim

The problem with the new format is that every team is playing for 4 points as that'll more than likely be enough. So we have games like last night, and the France game the night before. Wales were fortunate enough to play against a team that needed a win to make the 4 point park.

I've been very impressed with England, apart from the final finish. We need Kane to rediscover his form, or let Rashford have a go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our all round play has been the best we've seen since 2004.

At some point we will play a team who actually try to PLAY FOOTBALL against us. That is when we'll see how good our side actually is (or isn't).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Loads of possession and shots, but very few that hit the target and fewer that went in.

A bit like the Albion from a few years ago (at times) :lol:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Lot of sense being spoken on this thread. Slovakia are no mugs as recent results against Germany and Spain have shown. Them setting up shop with 11 men on the goal line was never going to be easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here