Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sponsored kids walk. Kids wanting money before the walk?!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yesterday evening as I was watching telly the door bell goes. I have a rule of not opening the door to unexpected guests past 7 in the evening, if they know us they'll call first is my thinking. But Mrs The Clamp has no such regards and opened the door to the Neighbour and her perfectly delightful 8 year old daughter. After the daughter politely explained she was doing a five mile walk for charity at her school I signed for a fiver, wished her much luck and went to close the door.

"Uhm the school says you have to pay before"
"No I think your mistaken. I'll drop the 5 pounds down when you have done it"
Mother steps in and explains the school want it upfront as people don't always pay after . I told her If I say I'll do something I'll do it and the school are out of order teaching kids that this is how sponsorship works. I was genuinely shocked and disappointed .

The other half, against my wishes caved and gave the kid a fiver. I was not happy. I was then accused of being a miserable ****. I'm sorry but sometimes things need to be pointed out, this is one of those times.

Has anyone on here had similar requests?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yup, almost every time nowadays when people ask me to sponsor them for something I'm asked for the money up front - especially by people in the office who do a lot of charity stuff. Same as you though, my answer is always the same. I will sponsor you to do it, then pay you when you've done it. That's how it works

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm saddened it's so rife. Especially given the word sponsor has Latin roots in "to trust". More saddened that the I got it in the neck all evening.

"You're the man no kid wants to answer the door"

"Why are you in such a grumpy mood about it?"

"Does it matter, I mean really matter?!!"

Bear in kind I hadn't mentioned it since the kid left.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At least she wasn't getting a free holiday from your money.

There is that. I think it is gonna be one of those walking round and round the playground for 5 miles jobs. Pretty dull by the sound of it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There is that. I think it is gonna be one of those walking round and round the playground for 5 miles jobs. Pretty dull by the sound of it.

If you see them again, you should get them to put a justgiving link on this thread. I'll add a fiver.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At least she wasn't getting a free holiday from your money.

Quite, this is where the problem arises as many of todays fund raising efforts require funds to be in hand well before the event in order to pay for the travel, accommodation and equipment so the (once in a lifetime holiday) fund raising event can raise £25 for said charity.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As I say, I have no problem giving money , especially for kids making the effort, and I was perfectly pleasant in front if the kid but I strongly disagree with collecting money first.

As for sponsoring some office monkey to have a jolly with their other mum friends cycling through Normandy "for cancer research", it's both wasteful and a con.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
vic.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You should have said that you would pay but she needs to do the walk first because sometimes people don't do it after.

Maybe she was just being lazy and couldn't be bother to go round and collect the money after.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Or maybe she didn't want to have to speak to 'Old Grumpy' twice :lol::lol:

Do you pop her ball if she kicks it over your fence?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Yesterday evening as I was watching telly the door bell goes. I have a rule of not opening the door to unexpected guests past 7 in the evening, if they know us they'll call first is my thinking. But Mrs The Clamp has no such regards and opened the door to the Neighbour and her perfectly delightful 8 year old daughter. After the daughter politely explained she was doing a five mile walk for charity at her school I signed for a fiver, wished her much luck and went to close the door.

Mother steps in and explains the school want it upfront as people don't always pay after . I told her If I say I'll do something I'll do it and the school are out of order teaching kids that this is how sponsorship works. I was genuinely shocked and disappointed .

The other half, against my wishes caved and gave the kid a fiver. I was not happy. I was then accused of being a miserable ****. I'm sorry but sometimes things need to be pointed out, this is one of those times.

Has anyone on here had similar requests?

Myself and your wife/husband are in agreement

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You can always get caught out. I recall a work colleague in the 80s sponsoring someone on a per lap basis around Preston park cycletrack thinking he would only do a few but when it was time to pay they wanted well over £500 which they didnt get so can see why people want money upfront

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Next time punch the kid in the face and kick the wife in the ****

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Surely if you just refused to pay up front but said that you would pay on completion, that has to be better than not making any commitment at all. (which is what i would do if they insisted on paying up front)

Or would they not want my money?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an 8 year old kid doing a school fund raiser. I cannot believe people are that worried about giving over £5 to help the local school whether she completes the damn walk or not! Good grief.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mother steps in and explains the school want it upfront as people don't always pay after . I told her If I say I'll do something I'll do it and the school are out of order teaching kids that this is how sponsorship works. I was genuinely shocked and disappointed
Good for you.

The other half, against my wishes caved and gave the kid a fiver.
:eek:
I was not happy.
Of course you weren't. Not only was your wife wrong, she undermined you in front of others. Totally unacceptable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here