Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - press reporting 6 changes vs Slovakia

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Expected starting XI: England: Hart; Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand; Wilshere, Dier, Henderson; Lallana, Vardy, Sturridge.

So Rooney out along with Alli, Kane, Sterling, Walker and Rose.

Has Roy got this wrong? Domesday scenario - If we lose ( Slovakia are no mugs as they showed in qualifying and against Russia), the Russkies beat Wales and outscore us in the group then we'll finish third and play Germany in Lille on Sunday.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Expected starting XI: England: Hart; Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand; Wilshere, Dier, Henderson; Lallana, Vardy, Sturridge.

Has Roy got this wrong? Domesday scenario - If we lose ( Slovakia are no mugs as they showed in qualifying and against Russia), the Russkies beat Wales and outscore us in the group then we'll finish third and play Germany in Lille on Sunday.

I fear this decision may come back to haunt Woy. Why change a winning side especially when topping the group is so important? Makes no sense to me.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Unless we had already won the group we should be going in with our strongest side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If true, not exactly sure what Harry Kane's done wrong to fall out of favour with the manager so swiftly. Kane seems to me to be the future of the England attack for the foreseeable future. Offers far more scope as a striker than either Vardy or Sturridge. IMHO, like.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm more than confident in the ability of the players coming in. Wilshire has a chance to absolutely shine and sturridge/Vardy deserve their starts.

Henderson is the safety needed and can focus on holding the centre with Dier.

The two full backs have worked their socks off in the two games and the replacements are more than capable.

I think Roy has played this very well. That's still a hugely exciting front line.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

I hope to god the media has it wrong. Taking out Rooney, Alli, Walker and Rose would be a BIG mistake

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Difference from previous years is there is not a drop in standard with the players coming in, so why not?

Kane and Sterling deserve to be dropped, you could argue that Kane has not had the service but his all round game has not been up to scratch.

The only area I would not touch is the defence, they need time to grow as a unit, and we will have at least 5 days to recover till the next round.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a massive gamble.

Walker has been our best player, Rooney is our captain, Kane our main forward and Alli the X Factor in midfield.

It's the Rooney and Alli ones I find most puzzling.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Has Henderson ever done anything of use?

Henderson-main.jpg

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's a massive gamble.

Walker has been our best player, Rooney is our captain, Kane our main forward and Alli the X Factor in midfield.

It's the Rooney and Alli ones I find most puzzling.
Agrre with this apart from Kane has been shit

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I fear this decision may come back to haunt Woy. Why change a winning side especially when topping the group is so important? Makes no sense to me.

Wasn't a winning side though was it? We threw on Vardy, Sturridge and Rashford because we were behind after the half the match, and only won it in injury time. It wasn't like we cruised to a comfortable win. Are you suggesting we start with Rashford, Vardy and Sturridge if we don't change a winning side?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Of course it may. But may also haunt him if plays unchanged team, someone gets injured/sent off/is crap on Saturday having been overplayed. England women did very well with rotation in World Cup, CH has done so (eg Brum away but not to same extent).

Don't agree that winning group is the be all. Most likely opponent is Czech Republic if we win group, not exactly a walkover. Third would not be great, but it is not that likely, and would only happen if Wales win and we lose, or some contorted maths if Russia win and we lose, even a penalty shoot out if we lose by same score they win by.

Hats off to Roy. This is a bit of a gamble but it keeps the squad interested, rests key players, gives Slovakia something else to think about.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I don't think any of the changes really represent a weakened team . Possibly with the exception of Bertrand but we don't really have any players who are guaranteed on the team sheet anymore such as Ashley Cole at left back who played no matter what .

Clyne for Walker - pretty much same ability IMO
Wilshere for Rooney - probably a bit of a gamble due to fitness but if we need him later in tournament at least we know he can play
Henderson for Alli - He's experienced and links up well with Lallana
Sterling for Sturridge - anyone other than Sterling would be good
Vardy for Kane - Kane is knackered and Vardy is a goal scorer .

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a weakened team

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People AGONISE of who they would take as their 23 man squad.

"I'd take Townsend. I'd take Rashford"

Yet, when we play someone out of the core 11, people lose their shit :lolol:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Walker needs a rest, he's run his absolute bollocks off in the last two games, and has been one of our best players - clyne is an excellent replacement.

Dropping Rooney i'm unsure about as he needs the game time to get used to his new role.

Alli also needs a rest - could very easily get sent off after seeing red mist against a very dirty Slovakia side.

Sterling has been shite.

Kane has also been shite, but understandably has played about 100,000 games already this season, give the boy a rest.

I think we'll be ok.

Don't forget that the starting 11 in both games failed to put Wales and Russia to bed, the subs saved us against Wales.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here