Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Receiving bank letters for 17k for a dead woman

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
So my dad has been receiving a bank statement for the previous home owner with a bank balance of 17k. This has been going on every year for almost 20 years. I think originally the account amount was just under 10k. The old lady passed away in the late 90s. Obviously her family do not have a clue that this cash exists.

What is the best way I can get a slice of the good stuff :) bar dressing up as an old woman, walking into a bank and pretending to be her I was thinking maybe trying to track down her family and cut a deal?

Is there a legal way of not letting this juicy delicious cash fall into the banks coffers?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
There are people that track these guys down for a living. Pretty sure there was a BBC programme on it ages ago which was actually quite interesting.

Track them down - they may give you a finders fee (but I doubt it, and, seeing as you have done nothing to earn the money you don't really deserve it) and then let them find the people that it belongs to.

This was it! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007nms5

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So my dad has been receiving a bank statement for the previous home owner with a bank balance of 17k. This has been going on every year for almost 20 years. I think originally the account amount was just under 10k. The old lady passed away in the late 90s. Obviously her family do not have a clue that this cash exists.

What is the best way I can get a slice of the good stuff :) bar dressing up as an old woman, walking into a bank and pretending to be her I was thinking maybe trying to track down her family and cut a deal?

Is there a legal way of not letting this juicy delicious cash fall into the banks coffers?

Start by asking your dad what he was thinking as he opened her first bank statement all those years ago.

Personally, I would have gone back to my solicitor and got the details for the solicitor's acting to dispose of the old lady's property - it's quite possible they dealt with her Will too. They'd almost certainly have details of her Executors.

If I was an Executor and someone had done that for me I'd buy them a case of champagne.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

why have you or your Dad waited 20 years before coming out with it ????

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
not trying to commit fraud at all... Hence the comment "Is there a LEGAL way of not letting this juicy delicious cash fall into the banks coffers"

This is a slightly tongue in cheek thread. Obviously i am not going to commit fraud. Regarding the opening of the letter. It was accidentally opened by my old man as one may get complacent and assume after 20 years all tall the post is for you.

How about just telling the bank?
then what happens to the cash? The just keep it. Will they spend time and money tracking the family down? i doubt it.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Start by asking your dad what he was thinking as he opened her first bank statement all those years ago.

Personally, I would have gone back to my solicitor and got the details for the solicitor's acting to dispose of the old lady's property - it's quite possible they dealt with her Will too. They'd almost certainly have details of her Executors.

If I was an Executor and someone had done that for me I'd buy them a case of champagne.

Yea this was probably the way to go but i vaguely remember the first letter we noticed was a cpl of years later so didn't act on it assuming that this would resolve itself or was a false statement.

I may try and track down the old solicitors and let them know :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yea this was probably the way to go but i vaguely remember the first letter we noticed was a cpl of years later so didn't act on it assuming that this would resolve itself or was a false statement.

I may try and track down the old solicitors and let them know :thumbsup:

Or just contact whichever bank is sending you or 'your dad' the statements. No 'tracking down' to be done, it's none of you or 'your dad's business and never has been.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Or just contact whichever bank is sending you or 'your dad' the statements. No 'tracking down' to be done, it's none of you or 'your dad's business and never has been.

Just trying to establish if anyone on here may know of a way to notify the family. The fact the letter was accidentally opened is neither here or there. Think i shall just get my Dad to keep sending the letter back to the bank.

Thanks all

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Well none of you lot are going to get a drink out of the cash...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here