Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Northern Ireland

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Thanks to Albania, NI can lose 2-0 to Germany and qualify.

Unless these three all happen:
a) Ireland or Sweden win
b) Slovakia lose by less than 2 or Russia win
c) Czech Republic beat Turkey/Turkey beat Czech Republic by 3

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So confusing...What if England lose and Wales win? Where does that leave England?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you're wrong [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION]. They can lose by THREE surely? They're +1 and Albania are -2 - N.I have already SCORED more goals. So 3-0 would still keep them above Albania????

I've been working out all the permutations as have £20 on them to qualify at 4s :lol:

It's a shame Czech pulled that draw back against Croatia too, as if they'd lost 2-0, N Ireland would almost definitely be there even with a 1 or 2 goal defeat to the Germans...!

Of course, it's perfectly feasible they could lose 17-0 to the Germans and still get through on 3 points.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think you're wrong [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION]. They can lose by THREE surely? They're +1 and Albania are -2 - N.I have already SCORED more goals. So 3-0 would still keep them above Albania????

I've been working out all the permutations as have £20 on them to qualify at 4s :lol:

It's a shame Czech pulled that draw back against Croatia too, as if they'd lost 2-0, N Ireland would almost definitely be there even with a 1 or 2 goal defeat to the Germans...!

Of course, it's perfectly feasible they could lose 17-0 to the Germans and still get through on 3 points.

Yeah, probably. It was a quick calculation after the game, perhaps forgetting that Albania conceded the injury time goal against France.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
How do we know who we play of the 3rd placed teams? Also - some group winners must play a 2nd place team rather than 3rd. How was that figured out as seems a bit unfair?

Was it a case of everyone knew which groups would play top v 3rd before the groups were drawn?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
How do we know who we play of the 3rd placed teams? Also - some group winners must play a 2nd place team rather than 3rd. How was that figured out as seems a bit unfair?

Was it a case of everyone knew which groups would play top v 3rd before the groups were drawn?

Well, that depends on which 3rd-placed teams qualify. So we have to wait and see who qualifies before we know that.

Italy & Portgual/Hungary will face a 2nd-placed team. I imagine it was a lottery, like the draw.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here