Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Mair and Westminster Magistrates Court.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
From the Guardian:

"No indication was given as to how Mair would plead and he was remanded in custody until a bail application hearing on Monday. The prosecution later confirmed that, because of the nature of the offence and the victim, the protocol was to hear the case in London."

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Why,London ? Its a basic murder case.

Other than London based cases, the Old Bailey tends to be used for the most high profile trials of severe cases and national interest.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

"The case is being dealt with by the Crown Prosecution Service’s Special Crimes Counter Terrorism Division and has been transferred to London because of its “special nature”.

Mr Mair, who is being held at Belmarsh Prison, south east London, said nothing as he was remanded in custody."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Its not really a basic murder though is it,although i see what you are getting at.
Its a murder that has appalled everyone and an MP to boot,guardians of democracy and all that.
It deserves to be tried in the highest court in the land,actually deserves is the wrong word.....demands is more apt.

its a shame we dont have hanging still for the murder of an MP(where the evidence is clear as day)
but thats a different debate

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Westminster is deemed the most secure Magistrate's Court in the country and deals with all dangerous prisoners (more dangerous than average murderers). Belmarsh is the most secure prison and there are set protocols for dealing with dangerous prisoners like this.
The actual decision that the magistrate had to make (it was heard by a district judge rather than by a bench of three) was not contentious and could have been dealt with by any magistrates.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Murder is Murder,so again why London ? We are all the same.

His actions, with modern interpretation of old law, could be regarded as treason. A case like this is always headed for the Old Bailey.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Aren't theey prosecuting it as a hate crime? If Mair had been a Moslem convert, who shouted Alluhu Akbar, while murdering Ms Cox,instead of a right wing nutter who shouted Britain First, I'm pretty sure no none would suggest it's an 'ordinary' murder.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You are right Leekbrook - common sense tells us this was a random murder of a faceless random individual, by a mentally ill loner. There is nothing else to consider here really.

I fully accept the magnitude of this case and my disgust at his actions,but again why straight to Westminster why not a local court and then transferred upwards ? As is the standard course of action.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Standard procedure for cases with major security concerns. Nothing to see here. I walked into the middle of a major terrorism trial that had been moved to Kingston as it was easier to provide security - armed police everywhere.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There are many factors here:

Which cps division are dealing with it
The availability of a Saturday magistrates court with requisite security and press benches
The need to get this to the old Bailey asap so getting in the right District

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I fully accept the magnitude of this case and my disgust at his actions,but again why straight to Westminster why not a local court and then transferred upwards ? As is the standard course of action.

You can keep asking the same question over and over but you will just get the same answer whether you like the answer or not.

Next time I would suggest you paste your question rather than having to type it out again.

As an alternative please feel free to contact Theresa May the Home Secretary who will no doubt be happy to answer your 83 emails all asking the same question

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And of course the apparent mental illness of the perpetrator is completely swept to one side in the scramble to 'hang him high' fuelled by that vile rag The Daily Mail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here