Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rented households at risk of eviction..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Four areas of west London were listed among the top 20 places where tenants were at risk of eviction, in figures from homeless charity Shelter.

Just wondering whether this is affecting anyone on NSC, or is there an issue in Sussex.
According to Shelter, this is down to a shortage of affordable homes combined with government welfare cuts.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness

http://england.shelter.org.uk/search?query=Renting&Search=

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/west-london-rented-households-among-11476170

Last edited:

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
My family are looking to rent a bigger place (4+ bedrooms) in Brighton and it is near on impossible!
First problem we find is a lot of places are only allowing students, if not the deposit and/or rent is unaffordable, failing that, they don't accept DSS.
We have been looking outside of Brighton, but we really do not want to have to move the kids to different schools and away from friends and family.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The housing situation in this country is ****ed proper ****ed the issue will never be addressed under Tory rule. If your single you can just about afford somewhere if your a family such as @Cereal Killer its very desperate times.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The housing situation in this country is ****ed proper ****ed the issue will never be addressed under Tory rule. If your single you can just about afford somewhere if your a family such as @Cereal Killer its very desperate times.

Blair and Brown had plenty of time to fix it and didn't. So who shall we blame now.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When I rented out a house in Brighton, it was the council's ineptitude that made me say no to DSS, not the potential tenants.

I had a tenant on DSS for a couple of years, but they chopped and changed her benefits so often and backdated it to death so that she ended up in debt to me, I ended up out of pocket by over a grand and they said it wasn't their problem.

The only way out of it for all parties was to evict her through the courts as they wouldn't give her anywhere to live unless she was properly homeless. They even advised her not to pay me while it went through court. Total wankers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blair and Brown had plenty of time to fix it and didn't. So who shall we blame now.

Didn't Blair trouser a fortune from the house he bought in Islington

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
When I rented out a house in Brighton, it was the council's ineptitude that made me say no to DSS, not the potential tenants.

I had a tenant on DSS for a couple of years, but they chopped and changed her benefits so often and backdated it to death so that she ended up in debt to me, I ended up out of pocket by over a grand and they said it wasn't their problem.

The only way out of it for all parties was to evict her through the courts as they wouldn't give her anywhere to live unless she was properly homeless. They even advised her not to pay me while it went through court. Total wankers.

The eviction process is a joke as well. All the while the tenant is being paid your money and there is little to no chance of ever recouping it. It's not just saw tenants though, private tenants are the same. Some of them even set out to scam you. Losing your deposit is a lot better than paying your final three months rent.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Clearly a politically blinkered and inaccurate comment.
Osborne [I think he's Tory] has put pressure on the buy-to-let BTL landlords to make it less attractive.
Firstly he's whopped some extra stamp-duty on 2nd homes and secondly, removed mortgage interest as a tax-deductible allowance.

The affect of the first one is to cool the BTL entry market - outcome will be lower demand for first-time / starter homes which in-turn will impact asking prices [simple supply and demand economics]. The eventual knock-on will be more opportunity for first time buyers.
The second change makes being a BTL landlord less profitable - this will also discourage new BTL landlords and may also convince some existing BTL landlords that being a BTL landlord is no longer worth the hassle and sell up.

Collectively, both these Tory driven changes should increase the available stock of first-time / starter homes which were traditionally the prime target of BTL investor landlords. Small beginnings, granted, but more than the Blair years every did.

So I think you are wrong ....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm surprised these issues are never really addressed properly as it really is in a shocking state.
Repossessions are sky high and councils are spending triple by going into the private sector with many families stuck in one room.Even here it's up to £700 for a room in a shared house and was £300-350 only 10 years ago...the crisis will get really really bad as we have 250 repossessions every single day in this country.

Look at the homes being built....plush 300-400k homes in small plots just to avoid handing over social housing:down:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
just remind me how many houses built under 3 terms of Blairs Goverment.
The Torys have built more in half the time and upsetting its own voters doing it so please be fair.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
just remind me how many houses built under 3 terms of Blairs Goverment.
The Torys have built more in half the time and upsetting its own voters doing it so please be fair.
Yes very true although the funding of private developers means many homes are built for the middle to upper classes and probably 70% at least.

It's about making money rather than housing the unfortunate sadly and this won't change!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't know the actual facts re percentage of home owners to renters..but it's difficult to see it any way other than more and more people renting and one does wonder how people will be able to afford it once into retirement as the number with a decent pension begins to shrink

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes very true although the funding of private developers means many homes are built for the middle to upper classes and probably 70% at least.

It's about making money rather than housing the unfortunate sadly and this won't change!!
lewes is 40% mid Sussex 30% affordable X homes I don't know about Brighton

Clearly a politically blinkered and inaccurate comment.
Osborne [I think he's Tory] has put pressure on the buy-to-let BTL landlords to make it less attractive.
Firstly he's whopped some extra stamp-duty on 2nd homes and secondly, removed mortgage interest as a tax-deductible allowance.

The affect of the first one is to cool the BTL entry market - outcome will be lower demand for first-time / starter homes which in-turn will impact asking prices [simple supply and demand economics]. The eventual knock-on will be more opportunity for first time buyers.
The second change makes being a BTL landlord less profitable - this will also discourage new BTL landlords and may also convince some existing BTL landlords that being a BTL landlord is no longer worth the hassle and sell up.

Collectively, both these Tory driven changes should increase the available stock of first-time / starter homes which were traditionally the prime target of BTL investor landlords. Small beginnings, granted, but more than the Blair years every did.

So I think you are wrong ....

Wrong only if you believe that there is something inherently inferior about living in rented accommodation.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Of course we could build loads of houses but nutty lefties in B&H don't want anything built.

Apart from the shipping containers the Greens arranged for the homeless in New England Road.

The council owns huge chucks of farmland around the City, why not build family homes there?

TB

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Our fecked housing situation is my hobby horse so I won't go off on one again here.

I also hate the Tories with a passion. A party of the rich for the rich. Always have been and always will be.

However, I simply refuse to solely blame them for the complete housing disaster in this country. Although it all began with the evil witch and the council house sell off, Labour have done bugger all to put things right or speak up on it in opposition. A total disgrace all round.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my ex-landy is now in the process of knocking the large bedroom in half (so the small bedroom (and it is very small) will now be the large one, she has done this to make it a 3 bedroom bungalow(either to sell on or rent to students) this has left us again at the new property with no security (6 month lease which may not be continued)
options are win the lottery and tell them all to **** off or look for sheltered housing which I think is the best option as it gives us security.
our fault entirely, we now do not have the proverbial pot to p1ss in and just about keeping heads above water.
so there you go from a 5 bedroom house in Wales worth now about 165k sell and move south to rented property and give someone most of that for the husband to go bancrupt and them snatch it back after promising a very long lease.
all about that word TRUST again

I'm surprised these issues are never really addressed properly as it really is in a shocking state.
Repossessions are sky high and councils are spending triple by going into the private sector with many families stuck in one room.Even here it's up to £700 for a room in a shared house and was £300-350 only 10 years ago...the crisis will get really really bad as we have 250 repossessions every single day in this country.

Look at the homes being built....plush 300-400k homes in small plots just to avoid handing over social housing:down:

£700! Could rent a studio in one of the hove avenues for that:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here