Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unfair Euros Fixtures

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
It seems to me the fixtures after the group stage are quite unfair.

There are 8 games in the last 16.
Two group winners play second place teams which is usually the norm.
Two second place teams play other second place teams.
However 4 winners place 3rd placed teams.

Totally wrong and unfair.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
UEFA found a way to play more games, and therefore make more money so they decided to do it. Who cares if it makes it massively stupid & complicated if it lines a few pockets?

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see the World Cup become 5/6 teams a group in the future.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Perhaps by making the Euros too big with more sides is why this competition is so dire.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It seems to me the fixtures after the group stage are quite unfair.

There are 8 games in the last 16.
Two group winners play second place teams which is usually the norm.
Two second place teams play other second place teams.
However 4 winners place 3rd placed teams.

Totally wrong and unfair.

How else would you allocate the first knockout round given that there are now 6 groups. You either need to het to 16 teams as this year or 8 teams where you would have 6 group winners and 2 runners up so unbalanced again or do you go to another group stage of 12 teams where 1st and 2nd could be equally balanced but leads to far more games

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
How else would you allocate the first knockout round given that there are now 6 groups. You either need to het to 16 teams as this year or 8 teams where you would have 6 group winners and 2 runners up so unbalanced again or do you go to another group stage of 12 teams where 1st and 2nd could be equally balanced but leads to far more games
The simple answer is that they should have left the format alone. Money talks.

I'm enjoying it anyway though.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

The obvious answer would be to not have 6 groups :shrug:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Perhaps by making the Euros too big with more sides is why this competition is so dire.

One - how does having too many teams make it 'so dire'?
Two - it's not dire.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well i'm enjoying the Euros. Quality of football hasn't been there but the ultras have ;-)

It fills a gap until what really matters to me.....The Albion.

Besides we beat the those gobby Welsh . That's my final

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Well i'm enjoying the Euros. Quality of football hasn't been there but the ultras have ;-)

It fills a gap until what really matters to me.....The Albion.

Besides we beat the those gobby Welsh . That's my final

As is well known I live in South Wales, I have yet to come across one person who thinks England did not deserve to win, must be honest I was surprised! but literally every welsh person I either work with or know, has said the same, the better team won, of course they were all gutted with it being such a late goal, but I understand that.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Also, UEFA schedule the last games within each group to kick-off at the same time to make it fair which is fine, however, because the 4 'best' third place teams going through, those groups / teams that play a few days after group A and B etc. will know what results are needed to give them a better chance of being one of the 'best' third place teams.

Enjoying the tournament though, no obvious winner at this stage which is great.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
If you think it's "Dire" can I ask why you are watching it?

Personally, I don't watch anything I don't like / think is dire.........

Actually I've only watched two complete games.Many others I've half watched because they didn't grab my attention.
I've never watched so little of a major football tournament.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
One - how does having too many teams make it 'so dire'?
Two - it's not dire.

I don't know how having too many teams has made it dire but all I know is that so far it's the worst football tournament I've seen.

I guess you could say by extending the number of teams you have some who aren't up to the standard.
You also have the fact teams know they can finish 3rd and still go through so maybe they don't try as hard.

Personally I think it's probably more down to the fact there aren't the teams/players of the past.

Anyway that wasn't my main point.The fixtures are clearly not fair.UEFA ruined club euro competitions
by changing the old formats,European Cup,UEFA Cup,Cup Winners Cup,to CL and Europa Cup.
Now by increasing teams in the Euros the've made it clearly unfair.
As has been said it's all about the money.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here