Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russia banned! (from athletics, not Euro '16)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Russia ban remains, athletes are unable to compete at Rio 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/36562570

Athletics chiefs have decided not to lift the suspension, which was imposed in November following accusations of state-sponsored doping.

But individual athletes can compete as neutrals if they prove they are clean.

Meanwhile, Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva said she would challenge the IAAF's decision in court, claiming it was "a human rights violation".

Isinbayeva, 34, who won Olympic gold in 2004 and 2008, added: "I'm disappointed and angry. I am offended. Nobody defended us. Nobody fought for our rights and there are huge concerns over the IAAF itself and its stance on defending the rights of clean athletes.

"We are blamed for something we have not done. I will not remain silent, I will take measures. I will appeal to the human rights court."

Does she really want to go down the human right path! Especially given her close ties to putin!

935a0a4e-8ea5-11e3-_517549b.jpg

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Excellent news, no point in athletes competing against Russians due to the state sponsored harassment of drug testers. Throw the book and keep throwing it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Russian FSB harassing drugs testers.

Next target world cup refs in 2018 ? ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/36562570

Athletics chiefs have decided not to lift the suspension, which was imposed in November following accusations of state-sponsored doping.

Meanwhile, Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva said she would challenge the IAAF's decision in court, claiming it was "a human rights violation".

Isinbayeva, 34, who won Olympic gold in 2004 and 2008, added: "I'm disappointed and angry. I am offended. Nobody defended us. Nobody fought for our rights and there are huge concerns over the IAAF itself and its stance on defending the rights of clean athletes.

"We are blamed for something we have not done. I will not remain silent, I will take measures. I will appeal to the human rights court."

Does she really want to go down the human right path! Especially given her close ties to putin!

935a0a4e-8ea5-11e3-_517549b.jpg
Have to feel for the poor Russians and their human rights....mind you I feel more sorry for the human rights of those athletes cheated out of medals by state sponsored drug taking..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have to feel for the poor Russians and their human rights....mind you I feel more sorry for the human rights of those athletes cheated out of medals by state sponsored drug taking..

Now to go after the Jamaicans, who anyone who knows anything about sprinting knows what's been going on there. Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell guilty and Johan Blake taking 4- methyl-2 and getting off on a technicality.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They should be kicked out of everything for invading Ukraine.
Of course.

But at least Putin is now on 'Best Behaviour' until after the 2018 World Cup so Estonia,Latvia and Lithuania needn't worry as much for next 2 years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fantastic news. And not because of the Russian violence in France, simply because doping ruins sport and Russia has zero concept of fair play.

How does one prove they are clean? Just because they pass a test now, doesn't mean they haven't been doping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's the point in going after Russia while allowing other tarnished nations to compete?

Moving the problem won't eradicate it, as proven by all the East German coaches popping up in Beijing x years before their most successful Olympic medal haul.

Athletics has so much institutionalised poop to wade through before it can have any kind of credibility.

Cycling has set out the blue print.
Athletics needs to follow that path, improving on the mistakes cycling made along the way, and hope there's something left after the blood letting. (pun intended)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How can they represent "neutral" when the whole premice of the event is about representing countries.

Letting them compete as neutrals I think further humiliates Russia.

Just wonder what anthem they will play? Maybe Miracle Drug, U2...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For those of us who don't know anything about springing, what's been going on there?

Well springing is leaping, often into the air such as like a cat would do to catch a bird. People can do it as well but they are obviously are not as agile as cats.

D

Deleted member 22389

What's the point in going after Russia while allowing other tarnished nations to compete?

Moving the problem won't eradicate it, as proven by all the East German coaches popping up in Beijing x years before their most successful Olympic medal haul.

Athletics has so much institutionalised poop to wade through before it can have any kind of credibility.

Cycling has set out the blue print.
Athletics needs to follow that path, improving on the mistakes cycling made along the way, and hope there's something left after the blood letting. (pun intended)

Cycling has indeed set the blue print out. I actually enjoy watching cycling much more knowing it is clean.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here