Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Belgium - shades of England's "Golden Generation"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lots of hype, but little cohesion. An Italy side with a superb mentality made them look naïve.

Could this be a great Belgian generation that goes on to ultimately achieve nothing?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've always compared the Belgian national side to Manchester City. Fantastic individual players that are more concerned over their individual performance than the team. A classic example if ever there was one of the office bullshit "There is no I in team"

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think they've got some great players but the XI is not a team of world or in this case Europe beaters.

Yes - they lack cohesion, and dare I say it, spirit and a world class manager.

Oct 25, 2003
a bit overrated- mainly because they have lots of players who play in England who people have 'heard of' and are probably good on FIFA

but come on, Fellaini, I mean, come on

a decent enough team but not championship winning material I'm afraid

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I think they've got some great players but the XI is not a team of world or in this case Europe beaters.

Yes - they lack cohesion, and dare I say it, spirit and a world class manager.

This. The Belgians I go to university with think Marc Wilmots is a complete idiot and is ruining Belgium's chances.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This. The Belgians I go to university with think Marc Wilmots is a complete idiot and is ruining Belgium's chances.

Perhaps Sven could do a job?!?

Only joking, however the point does carry some serious weight. I don't always advocate appointing a foreign coach, but perhaps this Belgium team needs a class overseas appointment?!?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
As others have said, they fact their manager is **** and they are missing their first choice central defence doesn't help.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Nail on head from Kosh. Wilmots is the problem.

He's had four years to build the best possible side from a great set of players but he doesn't seem to be able to make the big decisions.

Fellaini shouldn't be starting, Vertonghen is best at centre-half, Carrasco/Mertens did more in twenty minutes than Hazard or De Bruyne.

Wilmots has no pedigree as a manager and is out of his depth.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

He's had four years to build the best possible side from a great set of players but he doesn't seem to be able to make the big decisions.

Fellaini shouldn't be starting, Vertonghen is best at centre-half, Carrasco/Mertens did more in twenty minutes than Hazard or De Bruyne.

Thanks for that, and I love Austria btw - hands down the best holiday I've had in Europe. Salzburg and Innsbruck are just beatiful.

Anyway - yep Wilmotts is the central issue.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

It's easy this football lark, isn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here