Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Artists which have released a bench mark album....then topped it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have long blathered on about PJ Harvey's Let England Shake as being her high-water-mark and a complete work of art. The down side of such releases comes the realisation that they surely can't top this.....but then she did.

So, which other artists have released a ground breaking, seminal, important or just plain excellent, and then gone and topped it? There's some obvious choices from the big 60s and 70s acts but what about later decades and lesser known artists?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'd say Sparklehorse, topped two bench marks with: it's a Wonderful Life.

In the mainstream, I'd say... Beck, who regularly marks his bench and then tops it with a layer of musical varnish. A genius.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Mark E Everett's Beautiful Freaks turned 20 yesterday and that album is pretty special to me but he's just got better and better since then. Daisies of the Galaxy, SoulJacker, Shootenanny, Cautionary Tales... I've loved them all but in my opinion Hombre Lobo is his best.

And in a similar musical style, Beck has had some fantastic earlier albums: Odelay and Mellow Gold and his latest, Morning Phase is as good if not better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For really eclectic; I'd put Cressida in there for a beautiful debut, topped by the awesome Asylum. Gravy Train too, a benchmark debut of swirly prog, jazz and blues, topped by the sophomore: Ballad... and taken to new highs on Staircase to the Day...

Superb.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Depeche Mode can probably be added to this list too, I reckon along with Morrissey. The Viva Hate album was/is sublime and then he was rubbish for ages until the You Are The Quarry album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Radiohead: The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows.

They did it 3 times.

Not really lesser known though.

I'm not sure that this actually involves an upward trajectory, although I'm also not sure how to rank those four albums, which is utterly mood-dependent. I'm also not sure how to rank PJ Harvey's albums but, as with Radiohead, the output is simply staggering.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Cymbals Eat Guitars.

Their first album. Why There Are Mountains, is one of the best indie rock albums I've ever heard and whilst the second album, Lenses Alien, was a bit of a misstep their third, Lose, is stunning. It almost pains me to say it because Why There Are Mountains is a very important record to me personally but Lose is superior musically.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not sure that this actually involves an upward trajectory, although I'm also not sure how to rank those four albums, which is utterly mood-dependent. I'm also not sure how to rank PJ Harvey's albums but, as with Radiohead, the output is simply staggering.

I'm a In Rainbows> Kid A > OKC > The Bends, man. I accept there's propably a fag paper in it though. They are all classics.

You're bang on with PJ as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gong very old man here.

Neil Young - After the Goldrush

followed by Harvest

and then a shit load more and still he turns out quality albums....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here