Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Savage and other analysts

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
RS's comments prior to the game yesterday were so one-eyed they were almost surreal. Would the BBC show such indulgence to a similarly manic England fan-analyst? I got the impression his fellow pros in the Radio 5 commentary box were getting a bit pi**ed-off with him in the build-up.

Any views on other commentators/analysts? Lawro continues to drive me nuts with his limp puns and world-weary, seen-it-all remarks.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's been just terrible in this tournament so far. Andy Townsend has been the pick so far. That's Andy Townsend.

As someone posted on Twitter the other night, Glenn Hoddle is so dull that his Tamagochi hung itself.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Lothar Matthias sounds just like one of the pigs from Shrek, I couldn't take him seriously.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Jens Lehmann wasn't particularly insightful on the radio yesterday, but he seemed cheerful enough.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I want to hate Robbie Savage I really do, honestly, I listen or watch him and all parts of me are telling me that he is a right royal twunt, BUT, it's like watching the old Top Gear, I can't help but like him. He's passionate, opinionated, he enjoys a bit of rib taking, I thought him and Keown on commentary were great, arguing over decisions, getting behind their teams.

Compared to your stereotypical clean cut cliche ridden BBC pundit, I think he is a lively, enjoyable presence. He was honest and clear in his analysis afterwards, and despite being a passionate fan, I think he keeps a great level of objectivity considering, and doesn't take himself too seriously, but does, if you see what I mean...:mad:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've enjoyed Bilić so far; obvious tactical nous, a good sense of humour and quite passionate.

Agree, Bilić has been really good to watch. Seems very smart and able to explain the game well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
RS's comments prior to the game yesterday were so one-eyed they were almost surreal. Would the BBC show such indulgence to a similarly manic England fan-analyst? I got the impression his fellow pros in the Radio 5 commentary box were getting a bit pi**ed-off with him in the build-up.

I'm no defender of pundits but it's quite clear that Savage is/was on a deliberate wind-up. I thought he was quite good value yesterday, listening to 5 Live it sounded like Chris Waddle was going to explode in the build up.

The same shtick wouldn't work if it were an England fan doing it about England.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Lehmann, Dixon, Bilic, Mattheus are having good tournaments. Wright is being surprisingly lucid and interesting as well. Shearer has improved LOADS. Lawro and Sav are as bad as they've ever been. Henry is better here than on Sky.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Sounds like BBC/ITV are using some interesting continental talent - Bilic (intelligent), Matthaüs (not very), Karembeu.

The German channels have been quite imaginative. So far, I've seen Phil Neville (likeable but too safe), Uwe Rösler (good), Marius Trésor (like your favourite uncle). The two main analysts are Oliver Kahn and Mehmet Scholl who are both outspoken and interesting.

Austrian TV sticks to the same old suspects but the commentator for the game against Hungary was totally partisan. Every refereeing decision was lambasted against and, afterwards, he claimed that Hungary winning was a sensation!

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
The black girl on ITV.I get it that the liberals want to involve women and women do play and support football however please get one on who knows what the hell she's talking about and is confident on TV.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why are the BBC (5Live) continuing to quote Lehmann's remarks about Joe Hart and loss of confidence, can they not see he's trying to feed this thought into Hart's head FFS

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I want to hate Robbie Savage I really do, honestly, I listen or watch him and all parts of me are telling me that he is a right royal twunt, BUT, it's like watching the old Top Gear, I can't help but like him. He's passionate, opinionated, he enjoys a bit of rib taking, I thought him and Keown on commentary were great, arguing over decisions, getting behind their teams.

Compared to your stereotypical clean cut cliche ridden BBC pundit, I think he is a lively, enjoyable presence. He was honest and clear in his analysis afterwards, and despite being a passionate fan, I think he keeps a great level of objectivity considering, and doesn't take himself too seriously, but does, if you see what I mean...:mad:

Yes - you are right. He was actually very fair in the match itself and I don't usually mind him. But he was uber-annoying in the build-up..........but, hey, passions were running high.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes - you are right. He was actually very fair in the match itself and I don't usually mind him. But he was uber-annoying in the build-up..........but, hey, passions were running high.

What I love though is how he sets himself up to be easily cut down. You can't stop a world class player / Iceland did with Ronaldo / Yeah, but......ha Waddle had him with that one which was funny, but in the end, Robbie was right, Bale scored with about their only chance!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another one here who hasn't minded Savage on telly at all. He's Welsh. They haven't been in a tournament since 1958, they won their first game and went a goal up against England. Surely we can forgive him for being a bit bias and passionate in the circumstances?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You've managed to precisely articulate my view on Savage too. I also really enjoyed the Keown-Savage pseudo-arguments yesterday.
I'm also stunned to say that Shearer has really improved, although he could hardly have become less insightful. Bilic is a sheer joy, and Jenas is always worth listening to.
Currently not enjoying Waddle and, even worse, Mills who is the very definition of self-importance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here