Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England's midfield

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having started a thread praising France's midfield, England's deserve praise too.
First, a quick caveat, they didn't look quite as good today, with Rooney unnecessarily giving the free kick away that led to their goal, Dier making misplaced passes and ill-judged floating crosses, and Alli not at his most effective.
But they look really promising. Dier in a short space of time looks as good a defensive midfielder in European football, he knows and likes that role (especially with attacking full-backs), is extremely intelligent positionally, is physically strong, has a good engine, and is rapid over short distances. Rooney looks revived as the creative force, his passing and vision really coming to the fore. And Alli's movement, pace and physicality will cause many a team problems. Most of all, they look more than the sum of their parts, with impressive balance, complementing each other well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dier is excellent in a tight game. Should have come off early in the second half today, once Wales had given up and parked the bus. He had literally NOTHING to do defensively, and what he tried to do offensively would have been much more effectively done by Wilshere.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Dier is excellent in a tight game. Should have come off early in the second half today, once Wales had given up and parked the bus. He had literally NOTHING to do defensively, and what he tried to do offensively would have been much more effectively done by Wilshere.

True enough but the subs Roy made proved effective.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Dier had Bale in his pocket.

He needs to improve his long passing though!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Agree with this he is an outstanding DM but does not offer a lot if teams park the bus. Will be invaluable later in the tournament against more attacking teams.
Overall the midfield seems to have a decent balance. Vardy should start upfront as his mobility is essential

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mr Caution suddenly becomes Keegan.

Desperate and very lucky to get away with it.

You're joking aren't you?
We have battered two teams for nearly ninety minutes, we've deservedly beaten Wales, and unluckily drew with Russia, without hitting our top form in front of goal.
I'll criticise England when they deserve it, but they have been pretty decent so far.
Started a bit like the French team

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You're joking aren't you?
We have battered two teams for nearly ninety minutes, we've deservedly beaten Wales, and unluckily drew with Russia, without hitting our top form in front of goal.
I'll criticise England when they deserve it, but they have been pretty decent so far.
Started a bit like the French team

I think they've played two pretty poor sides so far and haven't created many good chances.

Do this against a decent side and we'll be out. It could be so much better if Roy played in-form players in the right formation.

larus

I think they've played two pretty poor sides so far and haven't created many good chances.

Do this against a decent side and we'll be out. It could be so much better if Roy played in-form players in the right formation.

Both teams were happy to sit back IMO. Wales especially. They really defended so deep and rarely offered going forward, so it's hard to create chances when it's like that - too congested in that third of the field.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

What sides have played better than us so far?

France? Germany? Belgium? Portugal? Croatia?

I would say not.

Italy maybe -

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Gareth Bale didn't think Wales are a poor side......... and i think he did more to motivate the England team than Roy and his coaching staff probably did, because they didn't need to quite possibly.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I'm not disputing the fact he has to start Vardy and Sturridge, but Kane in particular has been excellent for England up until the start of this tournament, so he had to start with him really. I personally prefer Sturridge, if fit, to Kane and Hardy, a more natural goal poacher.Sterling, on the other hand----
As for Wales and Russia being poor, Wales won their qualifying group, Russia were pants tho, I'll give you that. We can only beat what's in front of us.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

,England - 16 goal attempts against Russia, 53% possession
England - 21 goal attempts against Wales, 64% possession

Pretty good stats in an international tournament

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here