Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have the fixtures been leaked?

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
If so first game away to PNE and then home to Blackburn with the last game at home to forest.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
How is this sort of thing "leaked"? Who decides to "leak" such a thing? For what purpose? Usually a hoax has an ulterior motive?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
How does the ' computer ' always throw up
Local fixtures over the Christmas holidays? Amazing luck

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That fixture schedule was leaked last week. Apparently they do a test run on the computer used to do the scheduling each season and that's what got leaked.

I think there is a mistake(s) in the hoax which means it wasn't a test run either?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It just knows these things.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

It can't be beyond the ability of man to write algorithms to ensure certain criteria are met. Though when it pitches Hartlepool away to Plymouth on a Tuesday night in December you do wonder if they give a flying **** about the logistics for fans.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I saw a tv feature on this a few years ago, IIRC the computer had some basic rules (clubs in same cities not playing home on same day type of thing) spat out a basic fixture list which was then looked at by the FA, who would have been notified of any special requests by the clubs (eg, BHA at home for the opening fixture at the AMEX) who would then make adjustments. The fixtures then got sent to clubs, who had to then make any change requests as necessary, the FA then try to accomadate any changes requested by the clubs and local police etc. This revised list is then sent out for a final look at by the clubs and any further tweaking donme before a final fixture list is published. It looked quite a complicated thing to do in a relativly short time frame.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I saw a tv feature on this a few years ago, IIRC the computer had some basic rules (clubs in same cities not playing home on same day type of thing) spat out a basic fixture list which was then looked at by the FA, who would have been notified of any special requests by the clubs (eg, BHA at home for the opening fixture at the AMEX) who would then make adjustments. The fixtures then got sent to clubs, who had to then make any change requests as necessary, the FA then try to accomadate any changes requested by the clubs and local police etc. This revised list is then sent out for a final look at by the clubs and any further tweaking donme before a final fixture list is published. It looked quite a complicated thing to do in a relativly short time frame.

This is pretty much it. Firstly some conditions are fed in to the computer. For example I would imagine that Leyton Orient and West Ham not to be home on the same day would be one. This is because some of the support that Orient get would be West Ham fans who only go when West Ham are not at home. Likewise should Southhawk every make it to the league the same would be true of them and us. Then the police have a say. This would be things like Man U and Man C not being home at the same time. This is so they can actually police the games. Then any other requests like Albion not being able to play at home on the first game due to Pride etc. Local games over holiday periods.

I read something on the BBC a few years back that traced how a league 2 team had an influence on a Premiership team miles away because of a series of linked conditions.

After all the information and conditions are put in, they hit a button and the computer generates the fixtures. They then do a bit of tidying up if needed. Which is how sometimes you end up with Carlisle away to Plymouth on a Tuesday night. It is the only way the fixture can be played taking in to account all of the other conditions.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is pretty much it. Firstly some conditions are fed in to the computer. For example I would imagine that Leyton Orient and West Ham not to be home on the same day would be one. This is because some of the support that Orient get would be West Ham fans who only go when West Ham are not at home.

Every team is paired with another and one will always be home and one away, West Ham used to be paired with Dagenham and Redbridge (I don't know if that is still the case, given the move to the Olympic Stadium). Teams could also ask for other considerations to be taken into account, like Southend used to request that they don't play at home on the same day as West Ham for revenue reasons.

It gets more complicated as Southend and Colchester are paired, and Colchester can't play at home on the same day as Ipswich because they share stewards and wouldn't have enough staff to cover both matches. Transport links mean Ipswich and Norwich cannot play at home on the same day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here