Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC's favourite town gets a positive write-up

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sunday Times Property Section 12/06. Headline: Going Places. Croydon. After decades of derision the south London suburb is having a facelift and is becoming a well-connected hi-tech hub. The article says, among other things, "Whisper it, but there's something cool about Croydon" .... words I never thought I would hear. And "There's been an influx of people priced out of newly fashionable Crystal Palace and South Norwood". Amazing! How about this: "There's plenty of culture too. Fairfield Halls is closing next month for a two-year refurb, but the David Lean Cinema shows art-house films and there's all sorts going on at Matthews Yard". Obviously we've been wrong all these years and Croydon is actually a really lovely town!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Sunday Times Property Section 12/06. Headline: Going Places. Croydon. After decades of derision the south London suburb is having a facelift and is becoming a well-connected hi-tech hub. The article says, among other things, "Whisper it, but there's something cool about Croydon" .... words I never thought I would hear. And "There's been an influx of people priced out of newly fashionable Crystal Palace and South Norwood". Amazing! How about this: "There's plenty of culture too. Fairfield Halls is closing next month for a two-year refurb, but the David Lean Cinema shows art-house films and there's all sorts going on at Matthews Yard". Obviously we've been wrong all these years and Croydon is actually a really lovely town!

What is Matthews Yard? A bit like Steptoes?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
After decades of derision the south London suburb is having a facelift and is becoming a well-connected hi-tech hub.

In other words, they no longer have dial-up.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

When Southern Rail were having of one their regular meltdowns last week I got a train as far as East Croydon but then was stuck with thousands of other commuters. So I decided to have a wander until the chaos calmed down. Here is my report from the Croydon front line:

Pubs; only saw one "proper" pub and that was a big Wetherspoons fake.
People; sullen and miserable looking. Several big groups of bored youth hanging about
Shops: once famous for shopping it now looks like London Road. Lots of Pound Shop type stores and phone unlockers, and even the once proud Alders is discount outlet.
Architecture: low quality office buildings sprouting everywhere amongst the depressing 1970/80s monstrosities
Food: only fast and chain in evidence
Football: in 45 mins wandering about I never saw any evidence of Palace affiliation.
Atmosphere: quite a menacing feeling about the place for 7:30 in the evening, just the aforementioned "yoof" hanging about.

In a word - grim.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When Southern Rail were having of one their regular meltdowns last week I got a train as far as East Croydon but then was stuck with thousands of other commuters. So I decided to have a wander until the chaos calmed down. Here is my report from the Croydon front line:

Pubs; only saw one "proper" pub and that was a big Wetherspoons fake.
People; sullen and miserable looking. Several big groups of bored youth hanging about
Shops: once famous for shopping it now looks like London Road. Lots of Pound Shop type stores and phone unlockers, and even the once proud Alders is discount outlet.
Architecture: low quality office buildings sprouting everywhere amongst the depressing 1970/80s monstrosities
Food: only fast and chain in evidence
Football: in 45 mins wandering about I never saw any evidence of Palace affiliation.
Atmosphere: quite a menacing feeling about the place for 7:30 in the evening, just the aforementioned "yoof" hanging about.

In a word - grim.

You mean that you didn't go to the visitor centre?

image.jpeg

SAC

May 21, 2014
I didn't realise, until recently, that Ronaldo (not the nice one) owns the rights to the name CR7, which is part of Croydon.

Not sure if this is a positive or a negative.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
NSC's favourite town - a positive write-off

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I thik I've only been there once, for a training day in the 90's. It was about a quarter of a mile from the station to the telephone exchange but one of the roads was closed by the police and a helpful officer, when asked an alternative route, told us "I dunno, I ain't a cabbie".
When we got the place the bloke running the show said there had been an armed robbery and, I quote, "Happens all the time round here, f..king sh.thole. God knows why we're doing it here."
The women in the canteen were miserable too (although, to be fair, Sybil in the canteen at Withdean was a right old witch too).

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I've worked in Thornton Heath for nearly 10 years. A lot of money has gone in to the town around West Croydon down the London Road towards Thornton Heath, lots of new apartments have gone up too. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's 'cool' it's just been smartened up quite a bit in one or two of the most run down parts of town.

Never seen a 'pikey' or a caravan either, never quite understand that stereotype.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Visiting family in Sydenham, I sometimes have to drive through Croydon.

The main road (A232?) with the underpass is always (in my experience) a fairly clear, well traffic-managed road, meaning I can go straight through, with few bits of congestion in very little time. It's the best thing about Croydon.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Some of you need to get out the Brighton Bubble, and get a bit more "urban"
Croydon is getting a much needed facelift ( no cladding jokes please ) and millions are being invested .
The Westfield development will bring in thousands each day, even some of you lot might be brave enough to venture north to the mean streets of Croydon.
Btw , Matthews Yard is very nice, and not a bit of horseshit to be seen.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So what is the best way to describe this make over?

Putting lipstick on a Rotweiller or polishing a turd?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Clearly, if you burn your own town down then there is the chance for some regeneration. :whistle:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most people will never see Croydon as cool but good to see a run down place getting some money put into it. There's quite a few important business's operating out of Croydon so no reason it can't be regenerated to a good standard.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here