Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories in a total mess

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-threaten-to-block-osborne-post-brexit-budget

If only Labour were ready to pounce on this.

Chancellor faces backlash after 57 Tory MPs say they would vote against proposed emergency tax rises and spending cuts

George Osborne is facing an extraordinary challenge to his authority as chancellor from 57 Conservative MPs, who are threatening to block his emergency budget of tax rises and spending cuts if Britain votes to leave the EU.

Several former cabinet ministers, including Iain Duncan Smith, Liam Fox, and Owen Paterson are among 57 MPs who have said Osborne’s position would be “untenable” if he tried to impose a “punishment budget” in the the event of Brexit.

Osborne claimed cross party support for an emergency budget after his warning was backed by his Labour predecessor, Alistair Darling, but has not yet secured the backing of the current Labour leadership and shadow chancellor who would be extremely unlikely to endorse any austerity measures.

Speaking on the BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, the chancellor said: “For the first time today you have a Conservative and a Labour chancellor agreeing on the scale of the decisions needed to fix the public finances if we quit the EU. There would have to be increases in tax, there would have to be cuts in public spending to fill the black hole.”

He added that a vote for Brexit would amount to “self-imposed austerity for many years to come”.

Osborne and Darling will publish an “illustrative budget scorecard” comprising a long list of the sort of measures they say may have to be implemented including:

£15bn of tax rises, comprising a 2p rise in the basic rate of income tax to 22%, a 3p rise in the higher rate to 43% plus a 5% rise in the inheritance tax rate to 45p
An increase in alcohol and petrol duties by 5%
Spending cuts worth £15bn, including a 2% reduction for health, defence and education, equivalent to £2.5bn, £1.2bn, £1.15bn a year respectively
Larger cuts of 5% from policing, transport and local government budgets
Eurosceptic MPs said they would block any such measures. A joint statement issued by Vote Leave said it was “incredible” that the chancellor was “threatening to renege on so many manifesto pledges”.

It said: “It is absurd to say that if people vote to take back control from the EU that he would want to punish them in this way. If he were to proceed with these proposals, the chancellor’s position would become untenable.”

The open defiance of Osborne by senior Eurosceptics makes it difficult to see how the current Conservative leadership could continue if there is a vote to leave the EU.

David Cameron has always insisted he would continue in post to negotiate an exit with Brussels but that has appeared increasingly untenable as the referendum approaches, as Brexit MPs are furious about the force of his campaigning in favour of the EU.

If Cameron does not step down in the event of a vote to leave the EU, a major rebellion against his chancellor’s emergency budget could force their resignation and spell the end of the current government.

Osborne responded to the letter by saying an emergency budget would be necessary to stem financial “chaos” and fill a £30bn black hole triggered by a vote to leave.

He said: “The kind of measures we would have to take are ones that any chancellor and any government would have to make. No Conservative wants to raise taxes, least of all me. But equally Conservatives understand, and indeed I suspect many Labour politicians understand, that you cannot have chaos in your public finances, you have to deal with the whole that would emerge if we quit the EU. And we would have to take the necessary measures.”

Osborne was pressed on how he could impose such a budget when 57 Tory MP were against it. He said: “The Conservative government would do what was needed to deal with huge instability in our economy and the chaos in the public finances. Would it be easy for folk who pay their taxes for the public services? Of course not, but we would have imposed this on our country. And there is an alternative. If we vote to remain in the EU next week then we are going to be stronger, safer, better off.

He added: “If we walk through that door and we quit the EU, taxes will go up, public spending will be cut and we be living for the consequences for years to come.”

Darling brushed off the row in the Tory party, but backed Osborne’s warning.

“I will leave the Tories to get on with it,” he told Sky News.

He added: “If we decide to leave the European Union, all commentators are saying that we are going to take a hit, which will mean our economy will be smaller. That means you’ve got less money around to spend on things like the health service, on education, on transport. You do start having to look at tax increases, you can’t ignore these things.

“If our economy gets smaller as happened in the financial crisis eight years ago, there are consequences and you can’t ignore them.

“You will force the chancellor of the day to have to take decisions that he or she would not want to take.”

Challenged on the remain campaign’s scare tactics, Darling said: “It is entirely legitimate to ask tough questions of your opponents. How else are people going to make a sensible decision. After that [the crash of 2008] some very difficult decisions had to be made in order to stop a complete melt down. I don’t want our country, eight years on, just when we are beginning to grow again, to be facing exactly the same sort of trauma we perhaps years of uncertainty. It is just the wrong thing to do. It is very damaging.”

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said the party would never support such an emergency budget and disowned Darling’s backing for the approach. “This maybe a natural Tory approach but no Labour Chancellor would respond to an economic shock in this manner. And neither did Alistair Darling in 2008. Any credible economist would tell you that raising taxes or cutting spending or both in response to an economic shock is the wrong thing to do.

“It’s deeply worryingly that this suggests the current Tory chancellor thinks this is a sensible response. But it highlights what is on offer under a Tory Brexit as George Osborne is only saying what those Tories campaigning for a Tory Brexit truly believe deep down.”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously 60% of the population rarely waver from blue or red but for the rest of us, I can honestly say that I can't remember BOTH major parties seeming so chronically unelectable.

Personally, I wish I could forgive the LibDems for selling their soul for a whiff of power, but I just can't. Politics are a mess in this country IMO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A Corbyn-led Labour would bypass 'pouncing' and attempt to generate some indignation on social media.

That said, Osborne's mooted post-referendum budget is somewhat of an oddity, because a Leave vote surely makes Cameron's position untenable.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't wait for Boris to be PM with Gove and IDS alongside him and Farage as Home Sec.

Happy days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No wonder the Tories are in a total mess. It starts at the top.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-leaving-eu-if-he-werent-pm-says-steve-hilton

'David Cameron would be in favour of leaving EU if he weren't PM, says Steve Hilton

David Cameron’s former election adviser and trusted confidant has claimed the prime minister would advocate leaving the EU if he were not leading the country.

Steve Hilton, who was Cameron’s most senior adviser in the 2010 election and his first few years in Downing Street, said the prime minister was a natural supporter of Brexit.

Hilton, who left No 10 for the US and later wrote a book, this week came out as a supporter of Britain leaving the EU, saying he wanted to put a stop to the “arrogant, unaccountable, hubristic elites” running Europe.

He told the Times he was sure that Cameron was instinctively on his side. “If he were a member of the public or a backbench MP, or a junior minister or even a cabinet minister, I’m certain he would be for leave,” Hilton said.

He also claimed to remember a meeting in the early days on Cameron’s team in which it was agreed that they were in favour of leaving the EU in Britain’s best interests and that was the basis of the arguments they were making.'

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I won't be voting for Osbourne or Boris due to all the referendum lies.

But I can't vote for Corbyn as he wants to bin the nukes.

So who leads the Lib Dems now ? I don't remember.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No wonder the Tories are in a total mess. It starts at the top.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-leaving-eu-if-he-werent-pm-says-steve-hilton

'David Cameron would be in favour of leaving EU if he weren't PM, says Steve Hilton

David Cameron’s former election adviser and trusted confidant has claimed the prime minister would advocate leaving the EU if he were not leading the country.

Steve Hilton, who was Cameron’s most senior adviser in the 2010 election and his first few years in Downing Street, said the prime minister was a natural supporter of Brexit.

Hilton, who left No 10 for the US and later wrote a book, this week came out as a supporter of Britain leaving the EU, saying he wanted to put a stop to the “arrogant, unaccountable, hubristic elites” running Europe.

He told the Times he was sure that Cameron was instinctively on his side. “If he were a member of the public or a backbench MP, or a junior minister or even a cabinet minister, I’m certain he would be for leave,” Hilton said.

He also claimed to remember a meeting in the early days on Cameron’s team in which it was agreed that they were in favour of leaving the EU in Britain’s best interests and that was the basis of the arguments they were making.'

and then he leads the country and realises that its ideological stupidity to leave the EU.

It will be interesting times indeed if we Leave, indeed if we Remain too. Cameron will have a challenge, but with the majority of the parliamentary party in the Remain camp, it will fail and he can continue - if he wants too. But if the pressure gets too much, a la Thatcher - do we have Johnson in the Heseltine role, and Teresa May as Major, with Gove doing the Geoffrey Howe?

On the other side, Corbyn's pathetic efforts surely make this a ripe time for a challenge, whatever the result. Will the Union's back him any more if we have a Brexit and he is partly blamed?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I can't wait for Boris to be PM with Gove and IDS alongside him and Farage as Home Sec.

Happy days.

Wish I had some photoshop skills now to put quiffs on all of them, leather jackets on their flimsy torsos and a discomforting array of school girls hungry for their company.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can't see any amicable outcome for the Tories, stay or leave, there has been so much bad blood shed, I can't see them patching this one up. Although I'm an inner, this will at least be a small salve to my disappointment if we do commit financial suicide.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Could be a great summer,vote out next Thursday and then force General election and get rid of those slags.

Who do you vote for then Norman? Presuming the Tories kick out Dave and Gideon the Attilla the Hun branch of the party wouldn't need a GE, they would have the party in their pocket, unless the majority of the Tory MPs in favour of staying in kick them out.
Interesting times ahead

Who do you vote for then Norman? Presuming the Tories kick out Dave and Gideon the Attilla the Hun branch of the party wouldn't need a GE, they would have the party in their pocket, unless the majority of the Tory MPs in favour of staying in kick them out.
Interesting times ahead

Vote of no confidence in the Government should be enough to force a GE.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here