Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Di Matteo to have £30m budget

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So Villa have given him £30m and Benitez has got c £60m - but will this guarantee success???

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So Villa have given him £30m and Benitez has got c £60m - but will this guarantee success???

All depends how they spend it. Newcastle have been spending money on the wrong players for years. Maybe Benitez being there might change all that.

Again with Villa, it depends who's doing the scouting and who's doing the buying. Lets hope Burke ends up at one of them

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

They'll both end with big time Charlie's on big wages, ultimately unable to afford them, resulting in fines.
I'll keep to what Brighton are doing, and when we do get promoted, we will not have extortionate debts. :)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think particularly Villa will have to sell before they buy. They've got to get rid of their current laughing stock of a squad, I can't believe they will just spend £30m before shedding some of their current squad (which aint going to be easy).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Presumably these budgets include the wages of existing players?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All depends how they spend it. Newcastle have been spending money on the wrong players for years. Maybe Benitez being there might change all that.

Again with Villa, it depends who's doing the scouting and who's doing the buying. Lets hope Burke ends up at one of them

He spent vast amounts of money on the wrong players at Liverpool.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Newcastle with the players they have and that sort of budget should really destroy the division, it depends how long Benitez lasts if theres a few bad results and frustrations build. Villa will probably have to spend a lot of cash (contract payoffs) and time to get rid of the dead wood before they can build.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Along with a few other recent dodgy " new owners".

Indeed, to a large extent the test is one of self certification. The FL has tried to beef up their role, as it took over three weeks of scrutinising the new Villa owner before granting him approval. However under the new rules I suspect it would not have stopped the likes of Cellino, Oyston or Carson Yeung being in charge.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Think Villa are going to need a lot more than £30m to sort out their team for this league. Probably going to need to spend at least half of that on 2 strikers.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
When seeing the £30 million quoted i thought , nowhere near enough , and i would not swap our current squad for Villas plus the £30 million addition .

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
There are a few clubs in this division we cannot compete with, in terms of transfer fees and wages.

Doesn't mean they will do better than us.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My Villa supporting mate can see them just surviving this coming season,but thinks they need a lot more than 30 million.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
New owner has passed the FL test.

I would think Ronnie Knight or Kenneth Noye would pass that. I dont think Ashley will give Benitez millions to waste as the board did at Liverpool but think they have the players along with Villa to do well provided they can keep them and they are motivated. At Villa a fit motivated Agbonlahor will tear holes in the championship defences.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here