Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC's Alan Green not going to the World Cup

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The BBC commentator has announced that he wants nothing to do with the World Cup in Russia in two years time -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03y5x5j

Good for him, I say. Could this be the first little pebble to fall in an eventual landslide leading eventually to England (and hopefully a few other major footballing nations) telling FIFA, "Thank you very much, but we aren't going to enter your WC in Russia (or the even more inappropriate one in Qatar). We aren't prepared to put our fans in danger?" True, the FA do have a chronic lack of cojones (except where secretaries on the staff are concerned), but could it happen?

Should it?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The BBC commentator has announced that he wants nothing to do with the World Cup in Russia in two years time -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03y5x5j

Good for him, I say. Could this be the first little pebble to fall in an eventual landslide leading eventually to England (and hopefully a few other major footballing nations) telling FIFA, "Thank you very much, but we aren't going to enter your WC in Russia (or the even more inappropriate one in Qatar). We aren't prepared to put our fans in danger?" True, the FA do have a chronic lack of cojones (except where secretaries on the staff are concerned), but could it happen?

Should it?
i said we should not go when it was announced that Russia was awarded it let's hope we win the European championship and then pull out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes. We should not enter the World Cup in Qatar or Russia. These places do not deserve the kudos attached to hosting major tournaments such as this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. We should not enter the World Cup in Qatar or Russia. These places do not deserve the kudos attached to hosting major tournaments such as this.
Alternatively we should just make a point of only attending for the first week...

...oh.

Jul 7, 2003
Shame we can't get him to boycott England as well. Can't stand his commentary on the radio and thankfully the short experiment with him on TV was quickly binned.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It'll be interesting to see if he is a man of his word. If so, fair play. Personally I feel less annoyed about Russia than Qatar. Russia at least is a proper football country with a football history and regardless of the corruption involved in the decision making process, it does have 150m people who probably deserve a chance to host it.

But there are no redeeming features behind Qatar 2022. Absolutely none. That decision is a joke.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It'll be interesting to see if he is a man of his word. If so, fair play. Personally I feel less annoyed about Russia than Qatar. Russia at least is a proper football country with a football history and regardless of the corruption involved in the decision making process, it does have 150m people who probably deserve a chance to host it.

But there are no redeeming features behind Qatar 2022. Absolutely none. That decision is a joke.

The trouble is Qatar was never a decision or a fair vote, a completely corrupt stich up paid in bribes to you know who.

I actually think thus may well backfire if enough Countries teams decide to boycott it

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Agree boycott the next 2 world cups
6 English lads get jailed in France and not 1 Russian, it's a complete farce
Then to make it worse on the news they showed you German & Ukraine fans fighting in town square, bottles and plastic chairs (once again)being thrown at opposing fans, and we as a nation are apparently one more street brawl away from being kicked out of the competition
Time to leave the EU, UEFA & FIFA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The trouble is Qatar was never a decision or a fair vote, a completely corrupt stich up paid in bribes to you know who.

I actually think thus may well backfire if enough Countries teams decide to boycott it
I think they were both stitch ups, and my suspicion is that this has usually been the case. My only point is that regardless of this, the Russian people deserve the chance to host. On the other hand, I can't see any redeeming feature in the Qatar stitch up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree boycott the next 2 world cups
6 English lads get jailed in France and not 1 Russian, it's a complete farce
Then to make it worse on the news they showed you German & Ukraine fans fighting in town square, bottles and plastic chairs (once again)being thrown at opposing fans, and we as a nation are apparently one more street brawl away from being kicked out of the competition
Time to leave the EU, UEFA & FIFA
As much as I'd agree that we've been singled out unless the French pull their fingers out and jail some of these Russian pricks, it is worth pointing out we've got 40 years of form. The English have trashed cities all over Europe so it's hardly a surprise when we eventually get dealt with unfairly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think they were both stitch ups, and my suspicion is that this has usually been the case. My only point is that regardless of this, the Russian people deserve the chance to host. On the other hand, I can't see any redeeming feature in the Qatar stitch up.

I know where you are coming from, but racism and homophobia are endemic in Russia. It's not quite at prosecuting rape victim levels, but I don't think that they do deserve the tournament in their country, given the idea that the World Cup is supposedly inclusive and non-discriminatory.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
The fact Russia still have the World Cup after invading the Ukraine is incredible.

I would have no faith in the Russian authorities keeping England fans safe over there or even attempting to keep them safe.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Not bothered about Qutar having the wc I think the world cup should go to all corners of the earth as its for everyone but Russia should not have it or we should not attend way to dangerous.Russia should have been booted out by now and us on a final warning I don t think our fans will play up unless properly attacked.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here