Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bookies closed 20,000 betting accounts in six months

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why do bookies block accounts? Is it they block winners?
I genuinely don't understand why they ban their customers

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why do bookies block accounts? Is it they block winners?
I genuinely don't understand why they ban their customers

Multitude of reasons:

- you back too many winners
- you back horses which shorten
- you back horses in bad e/w races
- you abuse offers
- they think you are an arber
- you only ever back when they are best price

The first one is fair enough if you've won a bundle off them - but most of the time it's not even that much.
The last one is the most unfair - that is what betting is all about to me.

They never actually tell you why though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Multitude of reasons:

- you abuse offers

The first one is fair enough if you've won a bundle off them - but most of the time it's not even that much.

The last one, if true, is utterly ridiculous, given that they use the fact they offer 'best odds' in their own marketing!

Searching for VALUE is surely the entire POINT?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Multitude of reasons:

- you abuse offers

I'd say all but the first reason are completely unfair.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
They don't always close an account down, they will reduce your betting limits to such a low amount ( 25p @ 3/1 max ) that you just don't bother to use the account any more. Welcome to the wonderful world of online betting, they have the control.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The last one, if true, is utterly ridiculous, given that they use the fact they offer 'best odds' in their own marketing!

Searching for VALUE is surely the entire POINT?

If you go to the ring at a racecourse, you bet with the layer that is 9/4 about your horse when everyone else is 2/1. That book WANTS your money, similarly if someone is 7/4 they are ducking the horse and don't want to take your money. The online firms only want mugs who'll back regardless of price.
Price is everything when betting.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
A note to those who take up the £50 in play offer with Bet365, if this offer is your main source of business with Bet365 they will stop/restrict your account.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
In the old days maybe, not now.
And if you have no accounts left to get the best price then you've lost as you can't win anymore.

Does it not hold broadly true that "the only winning move is not to play"?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They don't always close an account down, they will reduce your betting limits to such a low amount ( 25p @ 3/1 max ) that you just don't bother to use the account any more. Welcome to the wonderful world of online betting, they have the control.

The restriction eventually lead to closure. Some restrictions are better than others, PP will let me have more on horse the better the class of racing/nearer the off-time.
Betbright are 10p max bet on anything, regardless of price or competition.
I've even seen some occurences where the max stake allowed is below the minimum bet limit :facepalm:
Of course you are still welcome to play slots and roulette :wanker:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Paddy Power banned me the week before Cheltenham which was stupid as I lost a shit load this year and they would have taken a lot of it.

None of the reasons are reasons to ban anyone, Australia are much better in protecting punters and ensuring bookies lay odds and don't abuse punters.

Here all they want you to do is play FOBTs in shops or play their shite games online, I bet they've never banned anyone from playing them.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The restriction eventually lead to closure. Some restrictions are better than others, PP will let me have more on horse the better the class of racing/nearer the off-time.
Betbright are 10p max bet on anything, regardless of price or competition.
I've even seen some occurences where the max stake allowed is below the minimum bet limit :facepalm:
Of course you are still welcome to play slots and roulette :wanker:

"So Mr Bookmaker, I can't have a sports bet with you for 50p but you'll let me use unlimited cash or my debit card to go on your Roulette machines".

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In the old days maybe, not now.
And if you have no accounts left to get the best price then you've lost as you can't win anymore.

Would it not just be easier to go down to the Bookies shop like the old days? ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"So Mr Bookmaker, I can't have a sports bet with you for 50p but you'll let me use unlimited cash or my debit card to go on your
Roulette machines".

Maybe there needs to be a new term for operators of FOBT terminals.'Dandy highwaymen' perhaps? They're certainly not making a book of runners. Seems utterly wrong that you can just wander in off the street and piss your wages/benefit up the wall in such a rubbish way. And don't get me STARTED on virtual racing. How on earth did this level of super-tax on the super-stupid ever become legitimate?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Would it not just be easier to go down to the Bookies shop like the old days? ???

Sometimes I do with Corals, but it's time consuming especially when you are backing some unpronounceable golf on the Web.Com tour and the lady has to phone up for the price.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here